Wellness

Seven Ways to Help Make a Difference in Empowering Women and Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.
  1. Aid Organizations and Projects that Encourage Women

Supporting organizations that are dedicated to empowering women really does make a positive difference. Your actions do not go unnoticed and your assistance truly does matter! You can show your support in many ways such as volunteering, donating, or creating awareness around the group and their goals.

A few amazing women’s empowerment organizations to check out are:

• CARE: A women-led organization whose goal is to provide clean water resources to communities in need. This allows women to be in a position of power in the working world and gain access to water for themselves and others in need. CARE also works to improve sanitation in schools and public places.
  • National Organization for Women: An organization that works to change society’s negative view of women, fight for reproductive rights, end harassment, and eliminate violence against women and girls.
  • Local Women’s Shelters: There are more women than you think living in poverty. By volunteering your time and/or donating to local women’s shelters, you are making a positive difference in the lives of those in need.
  • Malala Fund: This organization helps fund education for young women and girls worldwide. By supporting the education of other women, you are empowering them with knowledge and fortifying the next generations to come.
  1. Encourage Women Around You           

It is common for women to feel undervalued and unheard. Make sure you’re doing your part in supporting women around you and helping them feel powerful in their everyday lives. You can do this by listening to what they have to say, respecting their opinions, and promoting self expression. Of course, this is important to do with all women, and people in general, but it is especially important to encourage young girls, as they are easily molded and tainted by the judgements of society.

1. Promote Body Positivity

The culture of today’s media has created a standard for an unattainable image of perfection. What we see on social media, magazines, and in movies is almost never untouched/unedited. While everyone is susceptible to feeling uncomfortable in their own bodies, women are far more greatly impacted, according to countless studies. We need to remind ourselves and others that we are each beautiful, special, and unique in our own ways! You don’t have to be a certain shape or size to be acceptable. We also need to continue the small actions of reducing photo editing and stop promoting unhealthy and unrealistic beauty standards. If we can make an effort to promote body positivity, we can make very positive strides for women everywhere.

1. Invest in Women-Run Businesses

Contribute to empowering women by investing in women-owned businesses! By investing, donating, and shopping from these companies, you are supporting women in leadership positions and helping them continue to grow.

1. Stand up For Other Women/Fight Against Injustice

Fight for women’s rights and do your part by being part of the process! There are several ways to stand up for women’s rights, including attending the women’s march, voting, and spreading awareness to those who aren’t as aware of the issues. By doing these things, you are promoting a positive culture for not only yourself, but for women worldwide. The changes start with us, women, calling out injustices and banding together as a strong, secure unit.

1. Go Against the “Gender Norms” and Taboos

Just because society says that women should be this or that doesn’t mean that you, as a woman, need to follow those “rules”. Who says you can’t do the things “meant for men”? Women are powerful, strong, and successful! We are capable of so many things and need to know our worth and what we deserve! We can be CEOs, athletes, business women, and so much more. As a society, we need to put these gender norms and stereotypes in the past, move forward, and make some positive changes.

1. Make a Positive Example of Yourself

Practice what you preach! Be a role model for all women, especially our younger generations. Be kind, strong, thoughtful, encouraging, and supportive to other women! As Gandhi said, “Be the change you want to see in the world.”

Lexi Poidomani

Marquette '21

Hey, I'm Lexi Poidomani and I am one of Her Campus MU's Campus Correspondents! I am currently a junior at Marquette majoring in Journalism. I am passionate about all things fashion, beauty, and lifestyle!
i write sometimes, check it out!