Save Milwaukee’s Domes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

I recently learned that Milwaukee County Parks’ Mitchell Park Domes is in danger of being shut down. This deeply saddened me, because the Domes are a very cool place to be that I visited for the first time this summer.

According to a report by forum researchers, the Domes are in poor condition with up to $30 million in deferred repairs. 16.5 miles of county parkways — more than 26 percent of the total 63 miles of parkways — need immediate reconstruction while an additional 29 miles need reconstruction within the next decade. About 39 percent of county parking lots should be reconstructed immediately while an additional 46 percent need reconstruction in the next two to 10 years. About 12 percent of the 108 miles of park walkways are in need of immediate reconstruction while an additional 65 percent will require reconstruction in the next two to 10 years. Lastly, about 48 percent of the county’s 95 tennis courts and 54 percent of its 82 basketball courts need reconstruction within the next decade.

My question is, how did Milwaukee County let these parking lots, courts and other structures get so bad? 

When I went to the Domes, nothing stuck out as being awfully out of shape. However, apparently old window glazings are leaking water in storms and concrete support pillars are crumbling. The horticultural conservatory will close within a few years unless the money is found to do the basic repairs, according to a citizen task force.

The Domes are a neat place to explore because I was able to see the “outdoors” of foreign places without hopping a plane, or without actually leaving the indoor comforts of the Domes. It is a great learning experience for anyone and a great sensory experience especially for kids. Plants, animals, and even food grow and develop in the Domes. I loved touching the plants and seeing the koi fish in the pond. The Show Dome is very pretty inside, I felt like I was walking through a fairytale.

Not only are those three, bumpy Domes a symbol of Milwaukee, but they are also more than 50 years old. If they were to be shut down, this would be a huge loss to the city, county and state.

Rachel Kubik

Marquette '19

Journalism and writing-intensive English major from a suburb of Chicago. Avid flute player, artist and Netflix lover.
Emma McDevitt

Marquette '20

Hello, I am Emma McDevitt! I am a Junior at Marquette University and studying Marketing & Advertising.