Profile: Connor Gwinn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Name: Connor Gwinn
Major: Biomedical Sciences
Grade: Junior
Hometown: Detroit a.k.a West Bloomfield, Michigan

HCMU: What are you involved in on campus?
CG: Service has made my MU experience all that it has been so far. Through service both at home and abroad I have learned what it means to be truly human, and along the way making some incredible friends that have had a profound effect on my growth as a person. I just returned from a four and a half month service-learning program in Cape Town, SA where I worked with the Red Cross to combat the effects of fires and floods in the city’s townships (tin shack communities), and also had the experience of working in the nurse’s office of a K-12 school. I’m already packing my bags and next month I will travel to Nicaragua with sixty-two students along with MU professors, doctors, and dentists on a medical/public health mission trip.* Back on campus, I am a site coordinator for Midnight Run (disclaimer: not a fitness club), which works to connect Marquette’s campus with the surrounding community in an effort to decrease homelessness. Lastly, I am involved in M.A.R.D.I. G.R.A.S, a service group most notably known for our work with homeowners in New Orleans following the 2005 Hurricane Katrina.

HCMU: Why did you decide to come to Marquette?
CG: I wanted a school that was big enough where I could do all the things I wanted to do, but not too small where I wouldn’t stand out. There you have it folks, Marquette… the perfect bowl of porridge every time.

HCMU: What is your favorite memory as a Marquette student?
CG: Well I love to cook. My friends know this all too well, so over one summer weekend in Renee Row my two roommates Justin and Joey thought, “Hey let’s have a BBQ.” Now all we had was a tiny Weber grill but we were sure it would work. I went ahead and found this awesome recipe for steaks marinated in olive oil and lime juice (we were making tacos). After letting the marinade do its thing and our tiny grill got hot enough, I toss two thick steaks on the grate. Within minutes of that first sizzle there was a delicious cloud surrounding Renee Row. Just as Justin, Joey, and I were enjoying the smells that reminded us of our homes back in Michigan, a small group of people from the other courtyard comes towards us — hungry. Soon there a larger crowd around us asking for “just a corner piece,” or “whatever you guys aren’t gonna eat.” Frazzled, I turn to Joey and tell him, “There’s no way this tiny grill can feed all these people! We need to move our operations inside.”

Luckily, Joey’s dad owns a sports bar in Detroit and retrofitted our whole apartment with all the gear we would ever need; including those cast-iron fajita skillets that you get at Chili’s. We quickly ran inside and I yelled, “Joey we need to turn up our stove as hot as it’ll go!” Within minutes our stovetop was glowing red-hot and we slapped on four of the fajita skillets to heat up. With our hungry neighbors still outside, we grabbed four thick steaks dripping in olive oil and lime juice and plopped them into the skillets. Smoke quickly plumed up from the pans toward our vents so I reached to turn the fan on high, only to realize that there is no ventilation system in Renee. So as the fans drew the smoke up from the steaks, it formed a jet stream of smoky steak juice and olive oil particles that went right into the living room, and soon our apartment became a hazy den. As the room fills with smoke, Joey tries to handle the steaks and I yell, “Keep ‘em on! We’ve gotta feed these people!”

Just then, our unit’s fire alarm blares out. Joey acts fast and takes the batteries out of the whining device, tossing them into the drawer. Back in action! We can’t see anything but the steaks are looking look good and our apartment smells like the set of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Everyone is wondering ‘What in the world is going on in Connor’s apartment?’ “Magic,” I yell towards the backyard. I love this. Within minutes I believe these people are about to have the meal of their summer when suddenly the alarm comes back on. This time it’s the alarm for all of Renee Row that begin to blare. You know the red square fire alarms you see in the dorms? Those ones. Joey and I open up all the doors and turn on all the fans hoping that the howling alarms will subside, when he calls to me. “Ugghhh… Connor, I think the fire department’s here.”

“WHAT?” I yell. I sprint outside and tell them that there’s really no fire inside, just a little bit of haziness from all the steaks we were grilling. The word “steaks” seemed to light up all ten firefighters’ eyes at once. Recognizing the look in their eyes, I ran back inside, grabbed what steaks we had, chopped them up, and whipped up a giant plate-full of world class tacos. I told the firefighters, “Sorry for the trouble, hopefully this can make it all worthwhile.” They happily accepted and devoured the tacos in front of me. Satisfied with my creation, I stroll back inside to my smokehouse apartment, and realize that I still had ten more people outside who were being taunted by the smells pouring out of apartment for the past hour-and-a-half only to realize that I was fresh out. Now, the thing I love so much about Marquette is the idea that all the other students on campus (firefighters too) are just friends you haven’t met yet. So go out there and “set the world on fire!” Also, a word to the wise… always double down for BBQs because you never know how big of a table you’ll need.

HCMU: Any advice for freshmen?
CG: Never be afraid to stand out a little. Be yourself in everything you do and the right people will find a way into your life.

HCMU: What’s your favorite Milwaukee restaurant?
CG: Go to Balzac on Brady, and tell them Connor sent you. They probably will just look at you funny but I’m hoping if enough people go then I’ll get some sort of coupon.

HCMU: What would be your dream job?
CG: A pediatrician in another country. But I also made a bet with my friend that if neither of us are married by 30, we’re moving back to Cape Town and opening up a restaurant – we’ll call it Sans Fire Department.

HCMU: What’s your favorite place to study?
CG: The Colectivo in Bayview. It’s where they bake everything so the place smells incredible.

HCMU: Who or what inspires you?
CG: Hands down my dad. He’s the one that fuels my creativity, goofiness, and drive.

HCMU: Do you have a life motto?
CG: Keep your face to the rising sun and you’ll never live in the shadows.

Thanks, Connor!

*Please note: Connor’s trip took place just before we got back from Winter Break in January.

A small town gal from America's Dairyland with aspirations to become a Physical Therapist. Loves rowing, cooking, scrapbooking, chocolate, couponing, animals, hanging out with friends, and anything Wisconsin related. Currently attending Marquette University.
Prefer to consume my calories in liquid form. Living in the land of beer and cheese. Dreamer. Explorer. Wanderer.