woman wearing green graduation cap
woman wearing green graduation cap
Juan Ramos/Unsplash

Problems of a Second Semester Senior as Told by the Stages of Grief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Being a second semester senior is a challenge itself. You have accomplished so much in such a short amount of time. The stages of being a senior are comparable to the stages of grief.

1. Denial.

You’ll refuse to believe that you’re graduating in 4 months. You’ll start to think you have the rest of your life to become a functioning member of society, when in all reality you only have until May.

2. Anger.

You kind of start to hate yourself realizing all of the stupid things you missed out on as a Freshman. You’ll remember that dance that you didn’t go to, or that time you chose to study instead of going to Kopps with the girls on your floor. It’ll seem like little moments took away from your overall “social” experience at college.

3. Bargaining.

You’ll tell yourself that you won’t take as many classes your last semester so maybe you can stay for “just a little longer.” You’ll question your Major choice and even consider switching completely so you don’t have to leave quite yet.

4. Depression.

You realize that you won’t be seeing your best friends every day and you’ll be living in the adult world very soon. You’ll get sentimental about little things like The Last First Day of classes.

5. Acceptance.

Ultimately you’ll realize that you had the time of your life the past four years and you wouldn’t change a thing about your college experience. Your university left a mark on you, and you on it. It will always have a special place in your heart and you actually maybe kind of start to be excited about the next step.

Marquette Senior. Future Lawyer. Environmental and Animal Rights Activist. Ace Ventura expert. 
Prefer to consume my calories in liquid form. Living in the land of beer and cheese. Dreamer. Explorer. Wanderer.