Midterms 2018: An election of firsts

The 2018 midterm elections were historic. For the first time, politicians are representing different races, religions, genders, ethnicities, and sexual orientations. But these victories did not come easily. The bravery and perseverance of the elected officials motivated them to overcome their struggles and defy adversity. This diverse group of governors, senators, and representatives will break the status quo and challenge the current legislature. These politicians are making it easier for future generations to get involved with politics, and are being role models for those who were told “no.” Below is the list of historic winners …

Abby Finkenauer: First female U.S. Senator in Iowa
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: Youngest woman ever elected to Congress
Ayanna Pressley: First black Congresswoman in Massachusetts
Cindy Axne: First female U.S. Senator in Iowa
Debra Haaland: First ever Native American Congresswoman
Ilahn Omar: First ever Muslim Congresswoman, first Somali-American elected to Congress
Jahana Hayes: First black Congresswoman in Connecticut
Janet Mills: First female governor of Maine
Jared Polis: First ever openly gay governor
Kristi L. Noem: First female governor of South Dakota
Lou Leon Guerrero: First female governor of Guam
Marsha Blackburn: First female U.S. Senator in Tennessee

Rashida Tlaib: First ever Muslim Congresswoman, first Palestinian-American elected to Congress
Sharice Davids: First ever lesbian Native American woman elected to Congress
Sylvia Garcia: First Latina Congresswoman in Texas

Veronica Escobar: First Latina Congresswoman in Texas

Emma Tomsich

Marquette '22

I am a freshman at Marquette University studying journalism. I love coffee, dogs, online shopping, vine, and traveling. I am from Pleasant Ridge, Michigan, and I'm so excited to write for Her Campus!