Letter to a Cheating Dad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Letter to a Cheating Dad

Dad,

Isn’t it ironic how we avoid the topic of you having an affair like people avoid jury duty when we see each other in person. Even when Mom brings it up or tries to talk to you, the rest of us always stay dead silent. Not necessarily because we are at a loss for words because believe me, we have a lot of words brewing inside of us. Its more because of a fear of destroying the love we have for you because we believed your love for us was once unconditional.

I cannot describe the emotional suffering and animosity I feel towards you. The resentment I have is beyond understandable at times, as I acknowledge you are not the same man I called my dad and you are not a good example of a loving husband. I do not understand why this ever happened in the first place. Yet, I don’t ever care to know because you do not get to try to rationalize and justify your poor choice of actions to me. You have clearly made your choice, so it is only fair that now I get to make mine.

You permanently ruined not only your marriage, but your family as well. I would have never in a million years thought you could be so selfish. It is sad you try to play the victim in this and try to turn this around as if it was all Mom’s fault. You manipulate everyone to try and feel sorry for you but you are the one to blame; you dug your own grave. This is not her fault. This is your fault. You need to take responsibility for your mistakes. You lie over and over again and I cannot trust a word you say. I am honestly embarrassed to be your daughter and ashamed at the fact that I see parts of you in myself. I will never do anything as deceitful and hurtful like this in my lifetime.

The worst part is that growing up, you were a great dad. You always loved us kids and did a good job raising us, but what are you teaching us by being a bad husband to mom? Should I let a man cheat on me? That is what you are showing us. You are teaching all of us girls that it is okay to let a man treat us in way that is not respectful. As your daughter, I have always looked up to you, but you have to be aware of the significant impact your behavior has on a daughter’s self image and the quality of the relationships she chooses. I will never be able to look at you the same, respect what you say, or listen to you as a parent or authoritative figure. You will never be able to tell me what to do again.

I hope you miss us. This is what you deserve.

Goodbye,

Daughter 

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy