Keeping The Momentum Following The Women’s March

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Were you inspired by the Women’s Marches that occurred last weekend? According to The Atlantic, somewhere between 3.6 and 4.6 million people marched on January 21st. This number makes the Women’s March the largest protest in the history of the United States. If you are wondering how you can help continue to contribute to the efforts made in the protests last Saturday, here are a few suggestions:

1. 10 Actions for the First 100 Days

10 Actions for the First 100 Days is a campaign that the Women’s March recently launched. The idea is that through this campaign, people will actually take action regarding an issue that matters to them, by following quick and simple steps. The first “action” is to write a postcard to your local Senator about an issue that you care about. The next nine actions will continuously be posted on the website.

2. Call Your Representatives and Senators

If you are unhappy with the results of the election, or simply want to speak your mind on an issue you deeply care about, give your local Senators and Representatives a call. Even though your call may go to voicemail, you are at least taking a stance and being active.

3. Donate

There are plenty of organizations that you can choose to donate to that are likely going to need your support these next few years. Jezebel compiled a great starting list of organizations.

4. Help Your Local Community

This can be done many different ways. A great starting point is by visiting Marquette’s Center for Community Service to learn how you can be the difference right here in Milwaukee.

5. Voice Your Opinion!

Now more than ever it is important to speak your mind on what you strongly care about. You can do this through protests similar to the Women’s March or simply by starting discussions with family and friends. Sometimes it’s difficult to talk about important issues with family, friends, or even coworkers. The Southern Poverty Law Center created a handy guide that can assist you in starting a conversation.

Keep on fighting for yours and others’ rights, collegiates!

Avid book reader with an undying love for Parks & Rec. Currently studying Public Relations at Marquette University.
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy