How To Prep For An Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

How To Prep For An Interview

With summer right around the corner it’s time for most of us to score the *perfect* summer internship- or at least an internship. Whether it’s your first time being interviewed for a job or your seventh, everyone gets nervous sometimes. Take a deep breath and relax, because with these tips you’ll have a leg up on the competition! 

1. Familiarize yourself with the company. 

If you know about the company’s mission and what they’re all about, you can make sure that your interviewer knows you are passionate and will fit right in! Nothing is worse than walking into an interview and not truly understanding what kind of place you’re applying to work for. 

2. Research some basic interview questions

There are some questions that interviewers are almost guaranteed to ask. Have an elevator pitch ready for the inevitable “tell me about yourself.” Make sure you have an idea of what your weaknesses are and how you are already improving them. The list goes on. If you feel prepared for your interview it’ll definitely take some of the pressure off!

3. Have your own questions ready to go

At the end of your interview, your future employer will likely ask you if you have any questions. Asking questions does not make you look dumb! It shows that you’ve done your research and are taking this internship seriously! 

4. Dress the part

First impressions are important! You should look pulled together for your interview. Business casual or a higher dress code is always a safe bet. When you look like you’re already dressed to show up to work, it’ll set a great tone for the rest of the meeting. If you’re applying for an internship in a more creative field, don’t be afraid to add a statement accessory. 

5. One word: smile

If you seem happy and easy to work with, then people will want to work with you. Be confident in yourself and let that confidence shine through. You’ve worked hard to get here! Don’t be afraid to share your accomplishments. 

6. Have a copy of your resume on hand 

Most of the time, the interviewer will already have a copy, but if they ask for it or you need to refer back to something, it’s nice to have. You’d rather be over prepared than come up short!

7. Social media stalk your interviewer

This one has helped me so much on my internship hunt! Often times there is an employee who directly oversees interns, and it’s safe to assume they’ll be the ones interviewing you. Do they have a LinkedIn? Check out where they went to college and what exactly they do now. Search for them on Twitter and Facebook to see what they’re interested in. Chances are you can find some common ground. If you can somehow make a connection with them when you see them in person you’ll have an advantage over other candidates. 

8. Don’t be afraid to take a moment to think about questions. 

If you need a moment to think through a tough question there is no shame in saying, “Let me take a minute to think it through!” This shows that you care about your answer, and don’t rush into things unnecessarily. Employers want critical thinkers, not big talkers. 

9. Relax!

Interviewing can be scary, but you will likely interview with companies a lot in the future. Some things are out of your control and stressing yourself out won’t do you much good. Remember you’ve got this!

10. BONUS post-interview tip: send a hand written thank you note! 

After an interview, it’s always nice to send a thank you note to the person who interviewed you. While this is easily done through email, a handwritten message of your gratitude will make you stand out! There’s no need to go overboard, but sharing your appreciation may just seal the deal. 

Aly Prouty

Marquette

East coast girl trying to figure out why Midwesterners are so sweet. Dancing, photography, coffee, daydreaming and Kappa Delta. Currently studying abroad at National University of Ireland at Galway.
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy