How “13 Reasons Why” Is Changing The Way We Talk About Suicide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

How “13 Reasons Why” Is Changing The Way We talk About Suicide

Suicide is without a doubt one of the most difficult topics to discuss, but it needs to be talked about. It is one of the leading causes of death in the United States, especially for high school and college aged students. Unfortunately, suicide is not something that people are comfortable talking about or ultimately, reaching out for help.

On March 31, 2017, a Netflix series called “13 Reasons Why” was released. Based off the book written by Jay Asher, the online series catalogs the life of a high school student named Hannah Baker and how her life came to a quick end after she commits suicide in the beginning of her junior year. Before she died, however, she left behind several tapes, along with instructions for who is supposed to listen to them and who they should be passed on to so that they know the many reasons why she decided to end her own life.   

This show has played an essential role in bringing the topic of suicide to conversation and showing it in the most truthful and honest way possible. It makes a major point not to cover up any of the factors that can contribute to someone becoming depressed and suicidal and helps others know that they are not alone in what they are feeling and going through.

It is important for students to know that there are many options available to seek help, whether that is confiding in a friend or talking to a counselor in their school about what they are feeling. Hannah Baker is an example of someone that suffered a great deal and was not able to receive the help that she needed. As human beings, it is important for us to make an effort ensuring that anyone who feels lost or like there isn’t a way out, receives the help that they need to continue pursuing life. 

If you or anyone you know is struggling with depression or suicidal thoughts, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy