Here’s Why the Ecosystem is Making Me Self Conscious

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Is it summer, or fall, or spring? Next week, it will probably start snowing. Okay, that’s a huge hyperbole, but in all seriousness, can Mother Nature just let us know where she’s going with this Midwestern “autumn”?

This past weekend, I went apple picking, fully expecting to dress super cute for sweater weather and take Insta-worthy fall photos. instead, it was a torrential downpour. The very next day, it was sunny and 70 degrees outside, which needless to say, made me have serious mixed feelings.

I have been taking ten times as long to figure out what to wear to class simply because the weather has been so back and forth. The ecosystem is making me self-conscious about my outfit choices. Growing up in the Midwest taught me to pack a jacket no matter where you go.I look like I’m dressed for a nice summer day, and it’s mid-October. Some other girls have committed to sweater regardless of the high temperatures.

At a surface level, I’m mad that the Midwest’s repetition for its’ indecisive seasons. But really, I think these unseasonable warm days are really just a reminder of how apparent global warming is becoming, especially with all the natural disasters going on around the world.This Midwestern fall is way too unusual for us to not be hyper aware of the choices we make every day. I’m not talking about outfit choice. So here’s a gentle reminder to reuse, reduce, and recycle.

Winter is coming and I’m petrified. So soak up the sun now, but maybe walk to class and work, instead of driving. We can complain about the weather all we want, but we cannot forget the cause of it. 

Emma is a senior at Marquette University in Milwaukee. She is pursuing a major in journalism with a minor in digital media. Emma is a member of Pi Beta Phi and she hopes to work for a magazine after college. Some of Emma's favorite things include fashion, her foodstagram, travelling and her puppy Kona. Find her on Twitter @emmarosespring and Instagram @springinthecity!   
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy