This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Towards the end of my first semester as a freshman, I began to hear a buzz about “Dead Week,” but I never really understood what it meant until I experienced it firsthand. 

For those of you that are unaware, Dead Week is the week before finals. This week consists of turning in all of those last minute assignments that your professor assigns, while trying to save your grades by cramming for finals ahead of time. Whether it’s a twenty page paper or a group presentation, Dead Week has it all. The stress of college hits an all-time high during this jam packed five day week. What’s even more frustrating is the fact that summer is so close, but still so far. For those of you dorm livers, your room is somewhere in between papers everywhere from studying and an awkward amount of stuff packed up, because you have to move out right after your last final. Also, more often than not, all of the activities you are involved in plan their final get together or meeting during this infamous week. 

But, Dead Week does not have to be all that bad, the secret is time management. Take advantage of your free time this week and put it to use. Finish up last minute homework assignments ahead of time, that way the busy work is out of the way and you can focus on the more important tasks. Make sure you’re getting enough sleep, because being well-rested takes away a lot of the stress that comes along with late night cramming and being overtired. Prioritize your activities. If you have to miss a couple of fun events this week, it is not the end of the world. You have an entire three to four months of summer to have fun and enjoy your time off. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if your grade is not where you want it to be by this week, a few assignments are not going to make or break your grade. Focus on reviewing the material from the beginning of the semester and really understanding the concepts in order to nail your final. More often than not, finals are one of the biggest parts of your grade in college courses. Do not forget to breath, take a break from studying, go to the gym, spend some time with friends, and do not forget to eat some good meals. There is nothing better than being in a content mental state before taking exams during finals week, so prepare yourself now and thank yourself later. 

College is a rollercoaster of emotions and stress. Some weeks are super laid back with a couple things due here and there. Other weeks may seem as if you are drowning in schoolwork and just can’t seem to stay caught up. Dead Week especially is the peak of this stressful rollercoaster. Just remember you’ve made it through this week before, and you can do it again. Besides, after finals week that gut feeling in your stomach disappears and you are at the point of the rollercoaster where your hands are in the air and you can’t help but smile!

i write sometimes, check it out!
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy