Haiti. A Symbol of Resilience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Haiti: A Symbol of Resilience

Over this past week, one of the most devastating storms in history paved a path of destruction. The biggest victim of Hurricane Matthew was Haiti. With around 900 deaths and 4 million children being exposed to life-threatening conditions, it seems almost impossible that Haiti could come back from this. This is not the first time, however, they have been dealt a blow.

Only a mere 6 years ago Haiti faced another natural disaster: an earthquake, which killed over 220,000 people and injured another 300,000. This country has been repeatedly hit with hardship over the last decade, and their citizens do not have the means to shoulder all of the recovery costs. Around 60% of the population lives on less than $2 a day, with another 25% living on less than $1.25 a day. Almost 80% of teachers have not received formal training, and only 10% of schools are public. With this information in mind, it is not surprising to find that their literacy rate for women is only 57%. With such a high rate of poverty, and a sobering lack of education, it just does not seem fair that they constantly have to rebuild their already humble country.

It can be difficult, especially as a college student, to know how to help in these situations. Fortunately, there are many organizations that are devoted to helping Haiti and its people during this time. Any small donation can have a huge impact.

The Red Cross in Haiti is providing medical relief and shelter to those affected, as well as Americares and Planting Peace. During times of disaster, malnutrition is a huge concern, so donations to organizations such as CARE International go directly towards providing victims with nutrition. Clean water can be rare in impoverished countries, especially after a natural disaster, so UNICEF and Plumbers without Borders are focused on providing quick access to clean water after disaster. Finally, dealing with the consequences of a national disaster can cause serious strain on parents, as they have to look after their children while also trying to deal with the aftermath. Save the Children is working to set up spaces for children to stay while they are unable to go to school and also offers support during this hard time.

During times of suffering it is so important for us to come together and help our fellow human beings. Donations of any amount are extremely valued by these organizations, so think about contributing today.

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy