Give A Spit! DoSomething.org’s Campaign Against Blood and Bone Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

When we think of “cancer,” there is probably a good chance that we first think of breast cancer. Images of pink ribbons may appear in our heads, and many of us have probably participated in an event to raise awareness or money towards breast cancer research. We can all agree that breast cancer is still a prominent health issue in our world today, but what about other cancers?

DoSomething.org is an organization that inspires everyday teens and young adults to act on issues that are important to them in campaigns. Currently, DoSomething.org is focusing on bone and blood cancer. People affected by these types of cancers can be treated with donations from healthy individuals. Per year, about 10,000 people need a donation, but it is very difficult to find donors. This isn’t because people are not donating, but because those affected need a match! Anyone who is a match can help give bone marrow or blood transfusions, depending on what the patient needs. People aged 18-24 are in the highest demand for donations.

DoSomething is campaigning to let you know that you can help! All you need is your own spit! All you need to do is visit dosomething.org/spit and sign up using your email address and phone number. Then, you can choose to run a drive to collect many samples, or receive a free kit to swab yourself. Either option will help the cause. Send the samples back and you may be contacted to be a donor! It’s a simple step that will take a few minutes of your day, and you may be giving someone else another chance at life!

Jenna Fanduzzi is a junior at Marquette University, where she studies psychology and advertising. Jenna hopes to gain more experience in these fields after college, and that they will lead her to interesting places and situations. Aside from school, Jenna is a social media addict and spends time reading, blogging, and dancing to Lady Gaga.