The Feminist Rally Cry That No Senator Expected

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Although sworn in almost a month ago, President Trump’s cabinet nominees are still going through hearing after hearing. They are being barred by Democrat political figures at all costs. Each nominee has consistently been sworn in after much dismay to the democratic members of Congress. The nominees include Tom Price as the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, Rex Tillerson as Department of State, Betsy DeVos winning the position of Department of Education after Mike Pence broke a historic tie vote, and many more. Democratic members of the Congress stand together in fury as each member gets approved solely due to the republican majority within Congress.

The most recent controversy surrounds Trump’s pick for the Department of Justice, Senator Jeff Sessions. Mr. Sessions has had a history of inherent racism during the time of his career. In 1987, Senator Sessions was rejected as a Federal Supreme Court Justice due to allegations of praising the KKK and offensively criticizing the NAACP. Senator Sessions has a history of making intensely racist comments and for that, the Democratic members of the Congress were up in arms about the appointment of Senator Sessions as the head of the Department of Justice. The most vocal protestor was Senator Elizabeth Warren.

On February 7th, during a speech Senator Warren was giving against the appointment of Senator Jeff Sessions, Senator Mitch McConnell stood up and abruptly cut off Warren as she quoted lines from a letter from Coretta Scott King discussing the racism heard and seen throughout Senator Sessions’ career. As Senator McConnell stood and cut Senator Warren off, accusing her of breaking Senate rules, the Senate took a vote, and in a 49-43 result, barred Warren from speaking during the remainder of Senator Sessions’ hearing.

Warren sat down respectfully, but the war was yet to be waged. Outraged after these events, the public took to the internet defending Senator Warren and her speech. The hashtag #shepersisted flew across the nation. The quote derived from Senator McConnell: “She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.” McConnell’s negative remarks toward Warren did exactly what he suggested. His attempt to silence Senator Warren ignited a fire in millions of others. #Shepersisted has become a phenomenon on social media, many pairing the quote with photos of famous historical women such as Rosa Parks, Hillary Clinton, Harriet Tubman, and others. The trend became a sensation, defending Elizabeth Warren and her actions at the forefront.

The continuation of movements for equality from the day of the inauguration have been non stop. They must continue in the manner for the years to come in order for change to ever be considered. #Shepersisted can become something to live by, but only if we don’t let it die.

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy