In Defense of Adults Who Watch Cartoons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

In Defense Of Adults Who Watch Cartoons

Back when I was a kid, one of the things that excited me most about growing up was being able to watch grown up TV shows and movies all by myself. There was something alluring about having no limits, no parental block on the TV or no need to ask for permission when I wanted to rent a DVD rated R for graphic content and strong language (this was, of course, back in the days when Blockbuster was still alive and well). Now that I’m of legal age, I find that I’m watching many of the same things that I did in childhood, namely the same cartoons.

Of course, I do still watch a lot of the popular, adult-oriented TV shows that everyone raves about, but I find that I’m just as likely to binge watch Avatar: The Last Airbender or Adventure Time as I am Shameless or Grey’s Anatomy. Somehow, I don’t think I’m alone it that. Of the many times that I have gotten together with my friends for a movie night, we usually decided to watch old Disney movies instead of movies actually intended for people of our age group. The great thing about technically being an adult is that I do have the agency to choose cartoons over how other forms of entertainment; however, sometimes I feel a little judged when I talk about my preferences. I will admit, it can seem a little odd, but there are actually some good reasons why so many adults find cartoons so appealing.

line-height:200%”>Whether you are a college student who’s just started taking on adult responsibilities or someone who’s been dealing with all of it for years, there’s something that everyone can agree upon: it’s a lot harder than we thought it would be when we were kids. What little kid even thinks about things like paying off parking tickets or applying for a new passport? Beyond that, there are many bigger issues we encounter that cause a lot of lingering stress and sadness, like heartbreak, loss, and family struggles. Cartoons examine these issues. Pixar’s Up examines the grief that comes with the loss of a loved one and how to heal and move forward. Some TV shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra feature characters with mental illnesses and physical disabilities and then show how it’s possible to overcome them. Granted, the plotlines of these films and shows may be a little unrealistic and these huge problems are solved in a matter of hours, but it’s nice to recognize your own personal problems within a story, even if they are simplified and intended for children. The fact that these issues are made so easy to understand is a benefit within itself, as it’s even easier for adults to pick up on the intended meanings and then use them to their advantage.

line-height:200%”>Even if you are not going through some significant life crisis or searching for guidance to lead you through a big come-to-Jesus-moment, the content of cartoons can be used as temporary relief from the stressors of everyday life. That’s one of the main functions of any sort of TV show: short, thirty minute increments of welcome distraction. Adult-oriented TV shows do this as well, but more often than not the plots are riddled with questionable themes and morals. One of the most obvious examples I can give is reality TV. Reality shows definitely fulfill the requirement of momentary diversion, but they don’t really provide much substance in terms of teaching lessons or leaving a thoughtful impact on their audiences. Cartoons, on the other hand, are blatantly layered with morals and teachable moments because they’re intended to leave a substantial impact on young, impressionable children. Although adult shows can do that as well, it’s usually done more noticeably in kid’s shows, and that can be a nice change of pace.

line-height:200%”>Something else provided in cartoons that’s not usually seen in adult programming is pure, unadulterated fun. There’s singing, talking animals, and make-believe worlds full of possibilities, all of it portrayed through stunning animation that can only be described as art. What’s not to love about that?

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy