Cupcakes: The Best of the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Head-To-Head Competition for the Best Cupcakes: Revealed

Baking has always been a passion of mine. I especially enjoy eating baked goods and it has been my quest these past 3 years to find the best bakery. I have sampled cupcakes from many large and small name companies around the country and have brought to you, my conclusion on who has the best cupcakes. 

5. Crumbs

Location: Chicago, IL

Price: $4.50/cupcake

Specialty: What makes this place unique is the size of the cupcakes. It took me 3 days to finish one cupcake from this chain. For the size, the price is worth it, but not many people want to be laying down ≈$5 a cupcake.

Favorite cupcake flavor: Vanilla

My review: Unfortunately, the few times I have ventured to this chain, I have been dissatisfied with the dryness of the cupcakes. However, the cupcakes are great for celebrations because they are so big and some offer cute designs of frosting on top. 

4. Milwaukee Cupcake Company

Location: Milwaukee, WI

Price: $2.50/cupcake, $1.25/mini-cupcake

Specialty: The frosting on these cupcakes are amazing! I love sandwiching my cupcake together in order to get the perfect ratio of frosting to cake dough as possible. The frostings compliment the flavor of the cake so well here!

Favorite Cupcake Flavor: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

My review: This place is easily accessible from campus and offers delicious weekly flavor specials. It has been a hit or miss with this place, however. Sometimes the cupcakes are great tasting and other times they are as dry as can be. I like that they change their menu weekly to mix things up. Also, it is great that they offer two sizes of cupcakes so you can’t decide between which ones to get, you can buy more mini cupcakes for the same price as a large cupcake.

3. Classy Girl Cupcakes

Location: Milwaukee, WI

Price: $2/cupcake

Specialty: The variety of flavors offers is huge! They offer 35+ flavors of cupcakes and also offer over 25+ cheesecake-cupcake flavors as well. 

My Favorite Flavor: Grasshopper

My review: This place is easily accessible from campus and offers competitive prices for their cupcakes. These cupcakes are fresh and taste great! I love the wide variety of selection they offer in flavors, as well. Finally, I thought it was awesome that they offer cheesecake-cupcakes-delicious!

2. Sprinkles

Location: Chicago, IL, NY, CA, TX, AZ

Price: $2.50/cupcake

Specialty: Weekly Specialty Flavors

My Favorite Flavor: Irish Chocolate Cream

My review: The cupcakes were very good, but they must be eaten within the day of purchase, otherwise they go stale very fast. They were not dry and had flavorful icings that complimented the cake dough. I love how this place has promotions every day! Just check out their facebook page and “whisper” the code word to get a free cupcake daily! 

1. Nothing Bundt Cakes

Location: West Coast, TN

Price: $1.50/buntini, $4.00/bundtlet, $18.50/bundt cake

Specialty: Known for their fresh baked goods and softness of cakes.

Favorite Flavor: Red Velvet

My review: These cakes are like little drops of heaven in your mouth. They are always fresh and moist and taste fresh as if they just came out of the oven. I bought 6 “bundtinis” on Monday and finished my last few on Friday. I could not even tell the different between the Monday cakes versus the Friday cakes-it was still super moist and soft! My favorite would have to be the red velvet bundt cake. Unfortunately, the chain is mostly in the west and the closest one to Milwaukee is in Nashville. So if you are ever traveling in the area, there are a “Must-Try” dessert!

I am a junior studying biomedical sciences and physical therapy at Marquette University.  I enjoy doing recreational sports and am currently training for a triathlon. I also enjoy volunteering for various organizations on campus and maintain a steady job at the dining hall. My hobbies are traveling, playing sports, trying new food, hanging out with friends, and watching movies. 
Hannah McCarthy is a junior studying Broadcasting and Electronic Communication at Marquette University. She is currently the News Director at Marquette Radio. Hannah calls Cincinnati, OH home. In her free time, Hannah obsesses over Public Radio and hopes to be a news reporter after she graduates.