Captain Marvel vs Wonder Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

I’m sure we are all a little caught up in Marvel right now. With Spider-Man Homecoming introducing a new portrayal of the hero in movies, Deadpool 2 bringing back comedy along with heartfelt lessons, and even to the heartache of Infinity War, there are a lot of opinions, speculation, theories and talk in general about Marvel. The hype is getting even more real for the community as we prepare for a release of the Captain Marvel teaser trailer, reportedly coming sometime next week along with hints about Avengers 4.

So, what about D.C.? Not too much is going on, truthfully. There are many good shows floating around CW, but there isn’t too much talk for movies. After Justice League failed to hit box office records, the only thing D.C. fans have to look forward to is an Aquaman movie coming this December, and who knows how that’ll go.

If you ask just about anyone, they will admit that D.C. movies have been seriously lacking as of late, especially when you compare it to how well Marvel is doing. But if there is one thing nearly everyone can agree on, it’s that Wonder Woman was a fantastic film.

Not even just along the lines of plot. The idea that a female superhero finally got her own film, and it was highly successful, is mind-blowing and exciting. She empowers woman and destroys male chauvinism at the same time. It’s a beautiful sight to see. Not to mention that Gal Gadot is also a beautiful sight to see. However, the actress has so much more than looks. Within her role, she works at empowering woman even outside her movies. She symbolizes so much for women all over and will continue this legacy for a long time.

This gets many people thinking; will Captain Marvel live up to the expectations? People have already started to pit the two superheroes and actresses against each other, acting as if one is better than the other. But the answer to the questions is simple: of course, Captain Marvel will prevail.

Marvel’s recent success isn’t just a hot second in the spotlight. The directors and writers are at their peak and don’t plan on stopping. They’ve proven this with Spiderman Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, and Infinity War that they have plans and ideas and that they really are going to be serving the goods to the Marvel fanbase. So why would they stop with Captain Marvel? Well, they won’t obviously. It’ll be the first Marvel movie that is female-led and they will not want to disappoint. Captain Marvel will be empowering women and opening the door to even more women-led superhero films, just as Wonder Woman did.

Not even just the character will be empowering women. Just like Gal, Brie Larson works closely with multiple organizations working on protecting women against violence and sexual assault. She also works for bringing more woman made and led films with other actresses in Hollywood. This combination and Marvel and Brie will be both icon and a huge milestone, it’s only certain.

This brings it back to the main point. Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman? I suppose it has to do with if you have strong opinions about Marvel vs D.C. But if you don’t, there’s no reason to pit these two wonderful heroes and actresses against each other. They have the same goals and bring the same brilliant feminist energy that the world needs right now. So instead of picking one female hero to stand, why not have two?

Olivia Flores

Marquette '22

I get creative and write for people every now and then. Give it a read sometime!
Emma McDevitt

Marquette '20

Hello, I am Emma McDevitt! I am a Junior at Marquette University and studying Marketing & Advertising.