Campus Celebrity – Tess Quinlan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Most collegiettes in their junior year are moving into apartments and buying books for upper level courses. Tess Quinlan, on the other hand, is on the way back from her internship in London. As if an international internship weren’t cool enough, she was working with NBC to cover the Olympics. A friend of Tess’ approached her two years ago about the opportunity, and she scored an interview. Her impressive resume, coupled with her natural talent, secured her the position. Her favorite part of her time in London was her work in NBC’s Control C, which deals with all footage that does not air live.

This is just one of the many accomplishments of this New Jersey junior. Tess has worked as the sports director of MUTV and will be producing videos for the Marquette Athletics this year. Last year, she won the New York Women in Communication scholarship. Tess, a social media giant, is often the voice for fans of Marquette athletics on Twitter. She’s an advocate for women working in the sports industry, both on and off campus. She’s proved herself one of the most adept sportscasters on our campus when she was able to interview Dwyane Wade during last year’s Marquette Madness.

Tess was also a deciding factor in the establishment of a HerCampus at Marquette. She was previously featured in an article for her work with Marquette’s radio station as the producer and host of the first radio program run entirely by women. After being featured, Tess sough out other students to bring HerCampus to our campus, and here we are.

Tess’ media savvy and passion for broadcasting did not happen overnight. She’s been polishing her sports broadcasting skills since she was eight, when she attended a broadcast at the CBS Broadcast Center in New York City and “fell in love with it.” When asked if she had any advice for aspiring female sports broadcasters, she said, “Do anything that people ask of you, and then some. Always be there. Listen to what people have to say. Don’t be intimidated. Stand your ground. Coaches and athletes will respect you for it.” One thing is for certain; Tess is on her way to the big leagues.

Wanna learn more about our very first Celeb? Here’s another hercampus article about Tess and here’s her interview with former Marquette Basketball star Dwyane Wade.

Hannah McCarthy is a junior studying Broadcasting and Electronic Communication at Marquette University. She is currently the News Director at Marquette Radio. Hannah calls Cincinnati, OH home. In her free time, Hannah obsesses over Public Radio and hopes to be a news reporter after she graduates.