Campus Celebrity – Samantha Zager

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Ann’s Opening Act 
by Stephanie Hushcha

Was a rock star was on campus Thursday, September 20th? No, The Rave was not hosting a concert that morning. Instead the wife of presidential candidate Mitt Romney hosted a rally on behalf of the Romney-Ryan campaign. Most students in the crowd were lucky enough just to attend the event and hear Ann Romney’s speech amongst the throngs of young voters. Samantha Zager however headed to the podium for the opportunity of a lifetime. “I was never really too nervous – it’s easy to speak in front of a large crowd when you’re passionate about what you’re saying!” Zager said.

Zager took the stage on the morning of the rally to introduce Ann Romney, a feat which would bring about sweaty palms and a racing heart for most college students. Even with her only comparable public speaking engagements including high school theater shows and a graduation speech, the political science major kept her composure.

As a student with high professional aspirations in the political field, this was a coveted opportunity. Zager said, “The political director of Young American’s for Romney in Wisconsin asked me if I would be interested in being part of the pre-program, and of course I agreed.” Once again Samantha Zager set herself a part from most young women in college- she managed to pick out an outfit without a panic attack or a J. Crew shopping spree. Instead, remembering what would be acceptable for work seemed to be the best fit. She decided on fashionable yet professional attire for the event which included a classic blazer and chic flats. The college junior certainly looked at home on stage alongside State Senators Alberta Darling and Leah Vukmir and Lt. Governor Rebecca Kleefisch.

The Milwaukee rally focused on two major voting populations: women and college students. During Zager’s preparation for her introduction speech she says, “I tried to focus my speech on the reasons I thought President Obama has failed and how Mitt would better help those two demographics.” The introduction delivered was informative, encouraging, and energetic. Amongst a crowd of peers as well as notable politicians, the pressure was on. Yet her dedication and preparation certainly impressed, and after the event Samantha Zager was rewarded with a young Republican’s dream come true.

“She was really gracious and kind, and told me to keep working hard.” Zager said about the first lady hopeful Ann Romney. “She asked for my input about the election and whether I thought her husband could win Wisconsin.” With the presidential election less than four weeks away this rally was critical for the Republican Party, especially considering Wisconsin’s history of being a swing state.

Although Zager’s role in this election may not have earned her a spot in the history books, there is no doubt that this unique opportunity will stand out on her resume. It is still unknown whether Mitt Romney will take charge of the executive office in 2013. It is clear however that Samantha Zager has just begun her rise to political success.

Hannah McCarthy is a junior studying Broadcasting and Electronic Communication at Marquette University. She is currently the News Director at Marquette Radio. Hannah calls Cincinnati, OH home. In her free time, Hannah obsesses over Public Radio and hopes to be a news reporter after she graduates.