Campus Celeb: Yousif Maizy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

If you don’t know Yousif Maizy, then you’re missing out.  He is fun, determined, hilarious and, of course, exotic. Yousif has big dreams to become a dentist and honestly, he will succeed in anything he puts his mind to! I first got to meet Yousif during rowing along with swiping my ID when I lived in Club ‘Shuda. He’s a character and just an overall cool guy to be around. If you haven’t met him yet, here is a quick bio:

Name: Yousif MaizyMajor: BiologyGrade: JuniorHometown: Detroit, Michigan

HCMU: What you are involved in on-campus?YM: I am on the rowing team, a DR at Mashuda a.k.a. Club Shuda, Urban Scholars, intramurals (I just want to win a shirt), and Midnight Run.

HCMU: Why did you decide to come to MU?YM: Marquette was actually my last choice mostly because of the cost of tuition. A few weeks after the deadline, I received an email saying that I was being selected as a recipient to attend Marquette on a full scholarship. Ever since that day, I do not regret losing my deposit at the school I was planning on going to in order to come to Marquette.

HCMU: What is your favorite memory as a MU student?YM: My favorite memory at Marquette would have to be my first Marquette basketball game.

HCMU: What is your advice to freshmen?YM: Step out of your comfort zone and meet new people. Coming to Marquette meant that I was going to a school that had no one that I knew from high school; therefore for me it was easy to make new friends because if I didn’t I would be a loner. I guess my biggest advice is to step away from all your high school friends. Obviously don’t leave them out to dry, but make new friends and build new relationships. High school was fun and you will always have those friends, but college is a whole new experience, and you must take full advantage of all the new people around you. You never know who you will meet.

HCMU: What is your dream job?YM: A dentist, not sure which specialty yet. Maybe oral surgery or orthodontist. Let me get into dental school first.

HCMU: What is an odd fact that not many people know?YM: I am red-green colorblind.

HCMU: Who or what inspires you?YM: My parents are who inspire me the most. Coming to America when I was three, my parents risked everything they had to build and create a better life for my sisters and I. Everything they worked for from their college degrees was thrown in the trash just for my siblings and I. Knowing this makes me want to fulfill my dreams more than ever. Every day I know when I reach my goal, my parents will know they have succeeded. Therefore, I can’t let them down.

HCMU: What is your life motto?YM: “In the long run men hit what they aim at. Therefore, though they should fail immediately, they had better aim at something high” -Walden Thoreau. Basically saying shoot high and don’t stop shooting.

A small town gal from America's Dairyland with aspirations to become a Physical Therapist. Loves rowing, cooking, scrapbooking, chocolate, couponing, animals, hanging out with friends, and anything Wisconsin related. Currently attending Marquette University.
Prefer to consume my calories in liquid form. Living in the land of beer and cheese. Dreamer. Explorer. Wanderer.