Campus Celeb: Danielle Jow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Danielle Jow, Jow, or DJ-Wow, whatever you call her, this chick does it all. A former cheerleader turned rowing coxswain spends a majority of her time helping her residents, chilling at the nearest coffee shop, or devoting time to her faith. Her kind soul and infectious smile is known by all of Marquette. If you have never had the chance to talk to this lovely lady, read below.

Name: Danielle Jow
Major: Theology
Minors: History & Literature
Grade: Junior
Hometown: Redwood Shores, California. (DJ: About 20 miles south of San Francisco. Born and raised in the Bay!)

HCMU: What are you involved in on campus?
DJ: My freshman year was unforgettable. I lived in McCormick Hall and was on Marquette’s Cheerleading team. I was a member of the Marquette University Chorus, sang every week at Tuesday Night Mass in the choir, and served regularly as a Eucharistic Minister at the Church of Gesu for 4pm Mass on Sundays. I even got to travel with the women’s basketball team to the Big East Tournament! So come talk to me about time management for balancing your studies with activities; and find out more about involvement in sports, school spirit, music, and ministry! Now as a junior, I am an RA for the 6th Floor of Abbottsford Hall, where my floor motto is “Life Begins Here!” I still attend and sing weekly at Joan of Arc Chapel for Tuesday Night Mass, as well as serve and cantor on Sundays. I am on Marquette’s Varsity Rowing Team in which I am a coxswain, and do much more than just yell “Row and Stroke!” Who doesn’t like to wake up every morning at 5am and see the sunrise on the lake? Plus, we travel all over the nation to places like Philadelphia, Boston, Atlanta, Michigan, Tennessee, and Illinois to compete and it’s awesome!

HCMU: Why did you decide to come to MU?
DJ:
I willingly chose to leave the state of sun and surf only to adventure to state of cheese, chilling winters, and the home of Marquette University; and I’m happy everyday that I did. I knew I wanted to go to school away from home and see a new part of the United States. My grandmother used to live on the corner of Farwell & Brady in the building with that Starbucks. I used to visit her in the summers with my family and go to the wonderful summer festivals. So, Milwaukee isn’t necessarily new to me. But it wasn’t until my senior year of high school when I actually started to consider Marquette. Like most people here, I came and visited and fell in love!

HCMU: Any advice to freshmen?
DJ:
Get involved. Find your passion. Try new things. Serve others and the Lord. Explore your faith. Discover Milwaukee. Be confident and don’t be afraid to be yourself! Join the Marquette Community of faith, opportunity, discovery, and achievement. Arrive as you are, and depart transformed!

HCMU: What’s your favorite Milwaukee restaurant?
DJ:
Well, I’m much more of a coffee shop gal. You can most likely find me at Colectivo on the lakefront, Stone Creek, or Rochambo on Brady. These are also my go to study spots for reading and writing ten-page essays.

HCMU: What is your dream job?
DJ:
Ever since second grade, I have known I wanted to someday become a teacher. I hope to teach theology or religious studies in high school and help others pursue their dreams in academics and life, and encourage them to build a relationship with God.

HCMU: What or who inspires you?
DJ:
Honestly, anyone who is a leader in their own unique way and empowers others. Anyone who is inviting, welcoming, builds community and is a role model in faith, hard work, and dedication inspires me to be a better person.

HCMU: Do you have a life motto? If so, what is it?
DJ:
“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer. Plan your future with purpose, and frame your life with Faith!”

Thanks, Danielle!
A small town gal from America's Dairyland with aspirations to become a Physical Therapist. Loves rowing, cooking, scrapbooking, chocolate, couponing, animals, hanging out with friends, and anything Wisconsin related. Currently attending Marquette University.
Prefer to consume my calories in liquid form. Living in the land of beer and cheese. Dreamer. Explorer. Wanderer.