Harry Potter World Leaky Cauldron
Harry Potter World Leaky Cauldron
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Brady Street Reviews: La Masa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

A few weeks ago, I was looking for the perfect place for dinner – specifically off-campus (the dining halls are definitely starting to get old).

One of my friends suggested that we go to La Masa, an empanada bar located on the iconic Brady Street in Milwaukee, known for its spectacular restaurants and vibrant nightlife. With that in mind, we decided to give it a chance, and we all had a great time.

The wait time for a table of 4 was relatively short, which was unexpected given the fact that we went on a Saturday night (they only accept reservations for a party of 6+). Thankfully, the server gave us a quick run-down of the unique menu and my taste buds were intrigued – the “Chicken Tinga,” “Cheese Curd and Bacon,” and “Banana Nutella” empanadas were calling my name.

Each empanada generally ranges from $3-5 a piece, which seems very reasonable. It is recommended to order between 2 and 4, and they even have the “La Masa Trio” on the menu where you can pick any 3 and get a side of jicama slaw (or commit to a slight upgrade in price for their Thin N’ Crispy Fries – I highly suggest it).

The food arrived promptly, the empanadas stamped with an abbreviation so we knew what we were getting ourselves into. We eagerly dove into all of the exceptional ingredient combinations, sharing bites where we felt we had one to spare. The outside of the empanada itself – a type of Latin American inspired dough similar to a pastry – was baked to perfection, with just enough crispiness to add to the experience.

One word to describe this place: Heaven. Interesting flavors, an upbeat environment, and the prime location on the corner of Brady Street and Arlington Place made our whole night perfect.

If I were to go back to La Masa – which I hope to do in the near future – there are definitely some menu items I need to try. They do have a few items that are not empanadas – including an interesting selection of sandwiches and salads.

All things considered, this restaurant seems to be doing something right. The ambiance is a 10/10 – it’s the perfect place to grab drinks and a bite to eat with friends or to go on a cute date night with that favorite foodie in your life!

McKenna Sporer

Marquette '23

McKenna Sporer is a senior student at Marquette majoring in Economics. When she's not reading a book, you can usually find her sipping an iced chai latte or looking for the nearest restaurant with the best Yelp reviews.
i write sometimes, check it out!