neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Blessing of Place

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

This week, I called my grandma to catch up and indulge myself in some of the wise wisdom of her many years. She never fails to surprise me with her witty remarks and unique, individualized advice. Today, she spoke about the “blessing of place.”

She grew up in a small town near New York City, and was an only child. So, her mother and her grandmother became her best friends, her companions, and her role models. Her small town and the comfort of her church and her community provided her with anchors she trusted and valued. She still spews stories about the good old days that always end with a moral, lesson, or some profound statement that I write down for later.

The statement “blessing of place” got me thinking. About home – whether that be a person or a club, somewhere in nature, or a physical place where you sleep, eat, and hang out with your family.

For me, home is comfort. It is driving down the main street in my hometown, blaring music while screaming the words with the people who remind me not to take myself so seriously. It’s the lake during sunny days in August, taco night in my kitchen, and driving down Lake Shore drive at night.

It encompasses so many things, so many people, and so places, it makes my head hurt. Because where you plant your roots do matter. And the people you lean on while learning and growing are the ones who push you to be the best person you can be. I think my Grandma’s words of wisdom really stuck with me because being in college uproots those connections and solidified relationships, and plops you somewhere far (or even close) to home, where things are unfamiliar and new.

Finding that “blessing of place” away from home can be daunting – and it may take time to settle in and find your place and your people. I think it is important to keep in mind that things do take time, but also initiative and the endeavor to plant yourself in the unknown. When people say that college is going to be the best four years of your life, that comes with a lot of pressure. For me, it is helpful to keep in mind that those four years are eight semesters, hundreds of people, and boundless possibilities of joining clubs, sororities, club sports, and everything in between.

In other words, lots of opportunities to find your “blessing of place.”

I am a freshman at Marquette University, majoring in political science and journalism. I am from Oak Park, which is a suburb of Chicago, and am so excited to be writing for Her Campus!
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy