The Bittersweet Wrap Up of Freshmen Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Goodness gracious! It feels like yesterday that I was struggling with shaking hands to carry load after load of belongings up to my new dorm room. I had already dropped some things off for early move-in, yet somehow I still had a lot of stuff. I was a complete flurry of emotions-excited, scared out of my mind, sad to leave my family, and hopeful for the people to meet, and the days to come.

I was expecting that I would be a sobbing mess for the first month, but surprisingly, after my family left, I cried for about five minutes, got a hug from my roommate, Liz, and felt surprisingly happy as I walked to the Freshman Commencement ceremony with her. I am grateful to Marquette for all the activities planned, because I was so busy and bubbling with excitement, that I didn’t have a chance to dwell on my sadness and homesickness. Of course, I always miss my family when I am not with them, but a lot of the time, I feel like they are here with me in my heart, and I don’t worry or feel sad.

One of the things I was embarrassingly excited for in college, was meeting cute new boys. Marquette certainly did not disappoint! Although I don’t think I met my soulmate at the square dance on the first night like legend says, I still had a crazy fun time. I had been so scared of feeling alone, but with all the other freshman, all so kind and open, I felt so connected and happy to my classmates. Time has passed so fast and I cannot believe it is almost the end of my first year at Marquette. It has been truly amazing.

Although I hit rough patches, a bad grade, an unrequited crush, or homesickness, the majority of the year has been absolutely phenomenal and I have made so many great memories. I am so grateful to so many people that made it so fantastic. First of all, to my family. Even though I left home, I never really felt like I was away because of all the love and support I received via phone calls, Facetime, packages, and visits. I could not have done anything without you, and I love you more than I could ever say. To my roommates, Kendall and Liz, who became like sisters to me, and dealt with me even when I was an emotional wreck. They never ceased to be kind, caring and understanding, and I am so grateful to them. To my “since kindergarten” best friend group from home, Erica, Alyssa and Rose. Even in the tough times here, you always supported me and gave me love and laughter. Even though we were apart, our friendship remained strong, and I know it always will. To my amazing teachers from whom I learned so much. To the leaders and members of groups I have joined, like CHAARG, HerCampus, SERVE, and campus ministry. To my honorary big sister Laura, who has been someone I idolize since I met her junior year of high school. To my sorority, and new sisters I have made from that, and especially to my big Hannah, who has such a huge heart, and a beautiful personality, and is someone I strive to be like. To my “bae,” and future roommate Abby. I cannot begin to describe how much you mean to me and how much I love you. I am so grateful we have become friends, because you are perfect in every way. To my squad on the fifth floor of Abbotsford, because you guys are so awesome, and you always make me laugh. A lot of my best memories have come from hanging out with you guys, and I could not be more grateful. To Michaela, Elisa, Katelyn, Delaney, Nicole, Sophia, Melina, Ellie, and many other close girl friends I have, for being such beautiful and amazing girls, whom I love spending time with. A special shout out to Katelyn for introducing me to Sonny, and for having the best finsta ever. And to my dear Son-shine, for always making me laugh so hard I cry, for taking care of me, for sticking with me no matter how annoying I get, and for always giving me so much happiness. I am so lucky to have you. To all those, at home and at school whom have helped me through this first year, I am so grateful to you. I am still in awe that freshman year is wrapping up, but it has been amazing, and I am so excited for the years at Marquette to come.

Hello! My name is Violette Shearer and I am a freshman studying Speech Pathology and minoring in Spanish! This is my first semester writing for HerCampus. I enjoy running, being in nature, singing, dancing, volunteering, and hanging out with family and friends!
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy