The Biggest Fall Fashion Trends of 2018 You MUST Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

As of Saturday, September 22nd, it is officially the beginning of the Fall season! Fall always brings so many good things: Halloween, pumpkin spice, and caramel apples, just to name a few. But for me personally, my absolute favorite thing about the Fall season is the amazing fashion- and this 2018, the fashion trends are absolutely killing it! Without further ado, here are some of the top fashion trends of Fall 2018:

1. Corduroy 

Corduroy is back and thriving. We are seeing this material in pants, skirts, jackets, dresses, and accessories. I actually really love this trend and all of the variations it comes in. If you want to look super chic and a little more put together, I definitely suggest getting your hands on some corduroy items. 

2. Plaid

Ah, plaid- Fall’s favorite print. But THIS Fall is different. Not only are we seeing plaid in our flannels (per usual), but we are seeing plaid literally everywhere. Plaid skirts, plaid pants, plaid jackets… Plaid is taking over every article of clothing, and even some accessories. This is another trend I really love. I think it is so editorial looking and very ~Fall esque~. This trend also totally gives me 90s and Clueless vibes, and I’m so here for it. 

3. Ruching

Ruching was a trend that resurfaced this year in the late Spring and over the Summer. Now, the trend has carried into the Fall, where it’s appearing on long sleeve tops (as well as short sleeve, but that was more of a trend that started in the Summer) and dresses. It’s a girly, but also a kinda sassy trend. 

4. Denim (And lots of it)

Denim is a fashion staple every season, but especially in Summer and Fall. This Fall, we’re seeing denim jackets, mom jeans, distressed jeans, ankle jeans… Lots of denim to say the least. But to spice it up, we’re even seeing patterned denim and paneled denim (two shade denim items). Oh, and how could I forget the wildest denim trend that’s slowly making its comeback- boot cut/flare jeans (madness!). I can’t say that I will personally be partaking in the boot cut/flare revival, but I appreciate it. 

5. Suede

Suede is such an iconic Fall material. It’s so soft and cozy looking. We are seeing lots of suede this season, mostly in skirts, overall dresses, and bags. 

6. Belts

Okay, okay… So belts have always been around. But 2018 has honestly turned the belt into such an accessory. Belts aren’t just to hold up your pants anymore. Now, belts are truly a part of the outfit. They just add that extra something. I can’t tell you why or how this happened, but I feel that the “belt boom” happened over the Summer, and now they are a Fall outfit staple as well. 

7. Dainty Necklaces

I love dainty necklaces and dainty jewelry in general. And yes, dainty jewelry is not solely a Fall trend. But, the vibe of a big, cozy sweater with a cute dainty necklace is just so effortless and minimalistic looking.

8. Statement Earrings

On the other hand, Fall 2018 is seeing statement earrings. Hoops, fun shapes, and dangly earrings are so in right now. They just add that extra cute touch to an outfit. 

9. The 70s and 80s Inspiration

This Fall, there is a LOT of fashion reminiscent of the 70s and 80s. In fact, these trends have been pretty prevalent for all of 2018. The 70s trends we are seeing pop up include the warm-toned color palette, funky patterns, and overall stylish, polished vibe. From the 80s era, we have items that have been consistently trendy this year, like scrunchies and windbreakers. 

10. Pops of Bright Colors

Colors like bright red and magenta are very popular this season, as we are seeing every article of clothing and accessory in them. The use of these colors is turning basic items into statement pieces that draw the eye, but look super girly and stylish. 

11. Warm Tones

Other trendy colors this Fall 2018 are warm tones, such as mustard, rust, orange, and brown. Think about the colors in the changing/falling leaves, and those are basically the most trendy colors at the moment. 

12. Stripes

Stripes are proving to be super trendy once again this Fall, as we are seeing them on sweaters, tops, and bottoms. The stripes come in many forms including thin stripes, thick stripes, and colorblocking. 

13. Western Vibes

So we aren’t going so Western and making cowboy hats and boots trendy, but certain elements of Western style are actually making a comeback. For example, bigger, more detailed belt buckles and double belt buckles are some of the unexpected style trends of Fall 2018 that add that little touch of Western flair. 

14. Animal Print

Pops of animal print are coming back into style too, this Fall 2018. Prints such as leopard and cheetah are paired with those bright pops of color to make outfits more fun and unique. There hasn’t been a ton of zebra print going on, but I say we just leave that trend in 2012… 

15. Tie Front Tops

Tie front tops were a huge trend this past Spring and Summer. Now, the trend is continuing to live on into Fall with long sleeved tie front tops. The Spring and Summer seasons saw tie front tops that were mostly short sleeve and super flowy, but the Fall season is showing more long sleeved tops; some that are flowy and others that are tighter fitting. 

16. Paper Bag Waist 

The final huge trend of Fall 2018 I’m going to talk about is the paper bag waist. The cinched and tied detail is making an effort to graze the waistlines of tons of cute pairs of pants and skirts. Most of the time, this trend goes hand in hand with patterns, such as plaid. Personally, I think this trend is super cute, and makes an outfit have an, overall, chic vibe. 

Lexi Poidomani

Marquette '21

Hey, I'm Lexi Poidomani and I am one of Her Campus MU's Campus Correspondents! I am currently a junior at Marquette majoring in Journalism. I am passionate about all things fashion, beauty, and lifestyle!
Emma McDevitt

Marquette '20

Hello, I am Emma McDevitt! I am a Junior at Marquette University and studying Marketing & Advertising.