Avengers: Infinity War Killed Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Disclaimer: I’m going to try my very hardest to write this without spoilers, but no promises. Read at your own risk.

Alright, it could be because I’m a huge Marvel nerd, and it could also be because I’ve been looking forward to this movie since Captain America: Civil War came out, but I really did not expect this movie to hit me so hard. I cried for approximately half of it, which is weird because the really sad stuff doesn’t even happen until the end.

The movie was like nothing I’ve ever seen; my eyes were filled with tears of wonder at some points and tears of sadness at others. Something about seeing all of your favorite heroes come together on screen and have (first spoiler alert) not the best time is really emotional for some reason. I think so many Marvel fans have been anticipating these alliances for a while now, and seeing them happen feels like the beginning (and also maybe the end?) of something really special.

I can’t really put into definitive words why it killed me, but after it ended I really just wanted to crawl up in a ball and cry. The ending sucked. It hit hard and it hit fast. Everything just kind of exploded into a pile of sadness and defeat. No one really came out on top here. (Spoiler alert) Well, I guess technically Thanos, but if a villain wins is it really a victory?

You know what, I’m just going to give up on spoiler alerts—SPOILERS TO COME. I had heard horrific rumors that people would be dying before walking into the movie, but I hoped they were untrue. And the rumors I did hear (that Captain America and Iron Man would die) didn’t even happen. So basically, not only did it leave me really sad, it left me sad in a way I hadn’t prepared for.

But let’s talk about how I feel these catastrophic events can be fixed in movies to come. We know Captain Marvel comes out March 2019 (you’re really going to make me wait nearly a YEAR, Marvel. Very rude.) My hypothesis is that Captain Marvel’s debut is going to be her saving everyone’s butts. Especially because Nick Fury sends a message to her before he disappears. A lot could happen and I definitely don’t want to wait until 2019 to find out. This is very, very rude of you, Marvel.

All of that being said, if Peter Parker and T’Challa are dead I will sue you, Russo Brothers.

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy