This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

So we are just over one month into the new year, and for me at least, it has felt both long and short. It was as if January dragged on forever, but also flew by so fast. It’s crazy to think that one month out of 2019 is just gone already! I think this first month, for me at least, was preparing for the new year by getting myself straightened out and ready to be motivated. January was a time that I really dug a little deeper inside myself and decided how I wanted to make, not only 2019, but also my life overall more full, fun, and enjoyable. In the spirit of 2019, I have come up with 19 positive and rewarding rules to live by. I hope that this year, and for all my years, that I can follow these rules to the best of my ability. I also hope that maybe, just maybe, this list inspires you too. 

1. Cut out the toxicity out of your life. Toxic people, things, places, habits, etc.- get rid of them. If something or someone makes you unhappy or leaves you in a negative headspace, let it/them go and move on. You don’t need the negativity in your life and you certainly don’t deserve it.
  2. If you need a mental break, take one. There is no shame in taking a little time for yourself. Obviously, don’t let this become a habit, but every once in a while when you need to just stop and take your mind off of things, do it.
  3. Stop comparing yourself to other people. This is so mentally exhausting and destructive. It is okay to gain motivation from other people, but don’t sit in envy or frustration over comparison. It truly is counterproductive.
  4. When bad things happen to you, pick yourself up and carry on. If you sit and dwell on the negativity and make yourself the victim, you are not going to have the chance to succeed next time around. Good things will come to you if you allow them to. 
  5. Take care of your body. Wash your face, shower, brush your teeth, etc. Be responsible for your health and well-being. Eat well, exercise, and make sure you get enough sleep. Don’t ignore or dismiss warning signs that things are “off” internally. 
  6. Find a peaceful, positive outlet. When you need to de-stress or find motivation, there are a number of things your can do. Find a new podcast to listen to, watch ASMR or motivational videos on YouTube, read a book, and get off your phone. Find your personal temporary escape from the outside world. 
  7. Treat yourself every once in a while. Buy yourself some new clothes, makeup, or skincare. Have a little dessert or cheat meal every so often. It is okay to gift yourself from time to time.
  8. Give yourself more credit for your accomplishments. You deserve it. And don’t beat yourself down for your failures. You will move past them.
  9. Be more spontaneous and carefree. You only have one life. Do whatever you want to do! Just be safe obviously. 
  10. Stop caring about what other people think. Who cares what anyone has to say and think about you? As long as you are being the best person that you can be and you are happy, then nobody else’s thoughts or opinions matter. 
  11. Do more things that scare you. Life simply isn’t as fun when you are constantly playing it safe and comfortable.
  12. Be a good friend and person to others. Be kind and have compassion. Remind people in your life how much you love them. Tell your friends and your family how much they mean to you. Do fun things with them too! Create memories that will last forever. 
  13. Also, be a good friend to yourself. You’re with yourself for life, so treat yourself like the best friend you could have. Whatever you would do for or say to your best friends, do that for yourself as well. 
  14. Try to wake up each morning with a smile on your face and a positive outlook on the day ahead. Waking up feeling negative is not going to set you up for a good day. 
  15. Count your blessings and take into account all the things that you have and are thankful for. It is easy to forget these things sometimes.
  16. Stop yourself when you fall into destructive behaviors. You have more power than you think to take a deep breath and get back on track. 
  17. Live in the moment more. Stop thinking about the past or what is coming next. Appreciate where you are and what you’re doing right now. You will cherish and enjoy these times even more.
  18. Set goals for yourself. Write them down and remind yourself of them. Take the time to work hard to reach those goals. 
  19. Try replacing the negatives with positives. When you catch yourself thinking or speaking, negatively, stop yourself right then and there. Become more self aware and in touch with positivity. 

Lexi Poidomani

Marquette '21

Hey, I'm Lexi Poidomani and I am one of Her Campus MU's Campus Correspondents! I am currently a junior at Marquette majoring in Journalism. I am passionate about all things fashion, beauty, and lifestyle!
Emma McDevitt

Marquette '20

Hello, I am Emma McDevitt! I am a Junior at Marquette University and studying Marketing & Advertising.