Zac Efron Didn’t Sing at The High School Musical Sing-Along Reunion and I Am MAD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

This past Thursday, I was delighted to witness a Disney Sing-Along Special on ABC.  It was an extremely nostalgic and fun affair, with stars like Beyonce, Ariana Grande, Josh Groban, Little Big Town Christina Aguilera, and more in attendance.  The grand finale however, was the main reason for my excitement.  High School Musical was planning to reunite in a sing-along of “We’re All In This Together.”  There have been recent reunions of this cast, and many of the members have honored the series in some way through the years.  The one who has remained silent is the casts’ golden boy Troy Bolton, played by Zac Efron.  

Kenny Ortega, the director of the High School Musical series, gave fans a surprise earlier in the week.  Zac Efron would be in attendance.  He would join in for the reunion.

I, along with many others, was esthatic to hear this news.  My childhood crush would return in the form of the legendary basketball-star-turned-musical-theater-star I fell in love with.    

Alas, things are never as they appear.

Zac Efron did appear to introduce the cast reunion, stating, “We’re All In This Together!”  He then signed off, leaving the rest of the cast to sing without their leading man.  Blaming the shotty wifi, Bolton sat on the bench for this one.

I was devastated by this turn of events, and can only hope that one day, Troy Bolton will return to our screens.  Until that day comes, I’m going to be listening to “Bet on It” on loop.  

Elizabeth is a senior at Marist College studying Public Relations and Advertising.  Currently serving as the Editor in Chief and CC of the Marist Chapter, she enjoys writing about entertainment, music, lifestyle, and news.