Career

Why You Shouldn’t be Afraid to Change your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

I’ve changed my major three times now. I’ve been judged and criticized for not only being indecisive, but for not knowing what to do with my life. 

This simply doesn’t make sense. 

Life is a progression of learning and adapting to evolve into the person that you desire to be. You don’t always know who that person is right away. So… it takes trial and error to figure it out. 

I started off at Marist college as a Psychology Major. I wanted to learn about the way people think and why people act the way they do. I soon came to the realization that just because this was something I was interested in, did not make it the profession I should pursue. 

So, I thought about my passions. I knew that I was passionate about health and fitness. My dad is a personal trainer and I love that world. So, I thought I would make a great nutritionist- after all, I spent my entire life being trained on how to eat and work my body to be its healthiest. 

I changed to a biology major to get on track to potentially apply to a masters program for nutrition after I graduated Marist. 

Over the summer, though, I had an epiphany. I love nutrition, I love working out, but that doesn’t make it my dream job— it’s just a passion of mine. 

Desperate to figure out what to do with myself, I thought to ask my friends from high school what they thought I loved the most. I knew I was confused, clearly, and wanted outside advice. 

Literally, at that exact moment, two of my friends texted me asking if I could read and edit their essays for class. And my sister asked me the same thing. A lightbulb went off in my head. I realized that I genuinely enjoy writing and editing. I am actually happy when people ask me to edit their work. I find it fun— like a puzzle I need to piece together. Writing is a passion of mine, but also a pastime, and something I have always seemed to be decent at. 

Writing is subjective. To some, your writing may be an existential experience that is beautiful and colorful, but to others, it could be the most epic disaster ever. It is a constant learning experience. There is always something new to write about and research. 

College is the time to learn about yourself, who you are, your passions and drive, and to explore what you are capable of; it can be shocking the things you can do if you really put your all into it. 

So, who cares what people think. Do you. If you aren’t happy, fix it. The only person that matters in your career, at the end of the day, is YOU.

Astrea Slezak is a sophomore Communications Journalism major at Marist College. Astrea currently enjoys exploring different aspects of health and fitness in her writing.