Why You Should Listen to Podcasts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Podcasts are one of the most underrated pastimes. You can listen to them anywhere while doing virtually anything: walking your dog, running on the treadmill, drawing, doing your homework. The list can go on forever.

What makes podcasts great is not only their versatility, but the ability that listeners have to immerse themselves in a story through something other than a visual medium. There’s something uniquely compelling about listening to a true crime podcast or a personal interview and imagining the story unfold, rather than viewing it on screen.                        

During your long commute to work, your walk to class, or your torturous hour at the gym, a podcast can be beneficial in any situation. Podcasts enable you to multitask and optimize your precious time in a world on the go.                            

You can listen to news, interviews, personal stories, or segments on the latest in politics and pop culture. You can listen to the history of every US president or reviews of the best restaurants in New York. There is a podcast to match your every mood. They can be inspirational, heartbreaking, motivating, or purely entertaining.

There’s a podcast for any and all situations, and there’s definitely one out there for you. If I haven’t convinced you yet, here are a few good ones to get you started:

1. NPR’s Up First: From politics to pop culture, it’s the biggest news stories of the every day in 10 minutes.            

2. The Daily: Slightly longer and more in-depth, this one is 20 minutes of the latest top news event every day.            

3. The Call: Man Repeller’s interviews of inspiring women and their “call” to activism, careers, and anything else.            

4. Casefile True Crime: Every episode explores a new case, from the terrifying to the strange and even the unsolved.            

5. Nourishing Women: Run by registered dieticians, it’s all about health, wellness, and nutrition.                             

Makena is the Decor Section Editor, and former Style Section Editor and Editorial Intern at Her Campus. She is a senior at Marist College majoring in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and a minor in Graphic Design. One day she hopes to put her writing skills to work at a magazine or women's publication.  Follow her on Instagram @makenagera and Twitter @makena_gera.
Madison is a senior journalism student at Marist College with an affinity for all things writing, iced coffee, and Great Gatsby related. She is currently a Lifestyles & Her Future writer for Her Campus.