Why Marist Should Really be Off on President’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

We need to have some real talk right now. The topic up for discussion: the fact that we have school today. What’s up with that, Marist? Do you not love our past and present presidents? Do you not feel that a day of quiet reflection (curled up in your bed with some Netflix) is necessary to honor the great service and leadership that our leaders provide our country? Marist, we need to step up, and support our presidents. 

Is it not a little hypocritical, that we all claim to love the one, the only DJM, who is celebrating his last year, LAST YEAR with our campus, and we cannot give him this one day of reverence? We should be ashamed, Marist, ashamed! 

Not to mention, we are getting a new president, a NEW PRESIDENT, who took time out of his busy schedule to come visit us this past week. What will he think of a school that does not honor its country’s leaders with a day of recognition? Disgraceful, that’s what he’ll think! Disgraceful, Marist! 

And another thing, there’s been a severe lack of snow in this so called Upstate New York that we live in, so can’t you cut us some slack? Even good old Johnny Gildard is dying to give us a snow day, but he can’t! Johnny needs a day of rest too; seeing things and saying something can be tiring. 

Case in point: If the banks are closed, Marist, we should be too.

#MaristLovesOurPresidents