Kayla Bacon-Paddle Board Summer
Kayla Bacon-Paddle Board Summer
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus

Why JJ Maybank From Outer Banks is my New Favorite Character

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

I recently watched Netflix’s new hit drama, Outer Banks, and was thoroughly entertained.  The show makes me want to find adventure, and to live a little more freely.  JJ Maybank is my favorite character on the show for many reasons, and his arc and final season moments makes me yearn for more.  

1) He’s a good friend

JJ is extremely loyal, and stands by is Pogue crew no matter what.  He protects them, stands up for them, and does everything he can to help them achieve their goals.  He also never fails to put a smile on their faces, posing as a bright light in their lives.

2) He’s funny

JJ has many chuckle worthy moments throughout the first season.  He’s extremely chaotic and energetic, constantly making jokes and sarcastic comments.  He isn’t afraid to make a bit of a scene, much to the delight of viewers.

3) He’s adventurous

All of the Pogues have the adventure bug.  JJ particularly loves some excitement, from surfing to searching for gold.  He’s athletic, energetic, and unafraid, making him the perfect person to find the $400 million dollar fortune they’re seeking.  

4) He’s strong

Sure, JJ can certainly carry a lot of physical weigh as made apparent by his muscular stature, but what’s even more telling, is his ability to remain strong in times of struggle.  JJ comes from a troubled family life, something that doesn’t get revealed until half-way into the season.  Despite the horrible and despicable things he’s had to deal with growing up with his abusive father, he still remains strong, managing to still be a happy and amazing friend.  

5) He’s Rudy Pankow, America’s new sweetheart

Rudy Pankow is one of my new favorites.  The 21 year old from Alaska has impressed viewers with his acting abilities in his first major role, showing that he is only in the beginning of what should be a great career.  I’m excited to see what happens next for him, fingers crossed it’s a second season of Outer Banks.

Elizabeth is a senior at Marist College studying Public Relations and Advertising.  Currently serving as the Editor in Chief and CC of the Marist Chapter, she enjoys writing about entertainment, music, lifestyle, and news.