Why I Love the Olympics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

There’s something about watching the Olympics that I find so inspiring.

Why are the Olympics special? Well, while the games are technically just sporting events, the Olympic games stand for so, so much more. Every few years, for a few weeks, the world puts aside the differences that tear us apart. We rally behind the best athletes our nations have to offer. The Olympics Games are, to me, a mere glimmer of hope that someday our world can be joined together in unity and the topics that serve to divide us will someday dissolve into nothingness and the world will know peace. 

From an American standpoint, it’s also extremely exciting to watch. While I am always grateful to be an American citizen, there’s something about the Olympics that makes me feel especially patriotic. The athletes that are selected to represent our nation at this game are the most talented that our country has to offer — we rally for our athletes, and we cheer for them. They are living their own American dream, in a way, and the fact that I call a nation home that puts such importance on following your dream is incredibly awe-inspiring for me. 

The Olympics are also a spectacle of talent. The people that compete in these events have so much to offer, and it is incredible watching the games play out.

Regardless of what you think about sports, try watching the Olympics this winter; it should be a reminder to treat your fellow man with honor and dignity, and a cry to put aside our political differences and live in peace with one another. 

Photo Credit: Getty Images. 

Madison is a senior journalism student at Marist College with an affinity for all things writing, iced coffee, and Great Gatsby related. She is currently a Lifestyles & Her Future writer for Her Campus.