Why Everyone Should Watch Jane the Virgin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Recently, my roommate and I have been binging Jane the Virgin on Netflix, and let me say, it is amazing. It faces hard-to-tackle issues, has a wide variety of characters, and is very dramatic. Plus, its has won a Golden Globe, People’s Choice Award, and a Peabody Award.

Let me begin by saying what the show is about. Jane Villanueva is the main character, and she is your average working college student. She works at a fancy resort led by an attractive young boss, and goes to college part-time to become a teacher. She is dating a good-looking detective, and most importantly, she is a virgin. Jane’s mother was a teenage mother, and Jane’s biggest desire is not to repeat her mother’s mistakes. But then, she is accidentally inseminated by a tired gynecologist. She becomes pregnant, but the biggest plot twist- she is now pregnant with her boss’s baby, who she has had a thing with in the past. It’s oh-so-juicy, and it gets better. Every person introduced in the series seems to be tied to someone else in the show. Whether they’re related to someone, dating them – the drama is endless.

This is a show that requires your undivided attention. Constantly, one of us won’t be paying attention or will run (and I mean run) to the bathroom, miss a big plot point, and the other will have to explain what happened without missing anything else. Also, the characters sometimes speak in Spanish, so unless you speak Spanish, you now need to read the TV.

This is a great show to binge watch. Many episodes end in cliffhangers, and there are multiple stories going on at once. By watching multiple you do not forget anything, and it all makes sense. Plus, some stories go on for many episodes, so one must have a excellent memory or just watch multiple at once.

Also, the show is very progressive, and faces difficult issues. It involves teenage pregnancy, deportation, malpractice, drug cartels, murder, the death of a parent, and many more. The creators of the show attend to issues that many Americans and fans of the show face daily, such as deportation. This is an issue that many families, like the Villanueva’s, face, and is brought up multiple times throughout the show. It is a show that you watch and just think “did that really happen?” Yes. Yes it did. Every episode shocks you, and leaves you wanting more.

Jane the Virgin Season 3 just premiered Monday. So, if you are not caught up yet, go onto the the CW website and watch the latest episode. You need to.

Marist College student, Marketing Major Marketing/Advertising Director of HerCampus Marist, Treasurer of Marist Advertising Club Also in American Advertising Federation, Campus Ministry, and I write for the Odyssey Fun Fact I have sprained my right ankle 7 times.