nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Everyone Should Try Writing in a Journal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

As far as writing goes, most people tend to be pretty polarized; they either love it, or they hate it. It’s like math in that way; it’s something that people either feel very fondly towards or simply despise. However, I believe that everyone should try writing in a journal at least upon a few occasions, whether you consider yourself a writing aficionado or otherwise.

Firstly, it’s relaxing. There is nothing more tranquil than waking up and writing down what you need to accomplish for the day in a journal, or writing down your thoughts on something you’ve been pondering. When you write, you essentially allow yourself to spill your thoughts onto the page and clear your mind. Is there anything more soothing than that?!

Secondly, it’s an opportunity to express yourself. In journaling, you can write about anything and everything you want, whether it be something that happened in real life, or a simple daydream. Express away!

And lastly, writing is unlike any other art form for the simple fact that writing provides you the rare chance to look inward and gain perspective on a situation. If you’re unsure about how to handle something, write it out. Examine the pros and cons in a logical manner.

Regardless if you’re an aspiring writer or not, writing in a journal is something everyone should try. Give it a go. You might find yourself loving it!

Madison is a senior journalism student at Marist College with an affinity for all things writing, iced coffee, and Great Gatsby related. She is currently a Lifestyles & Her Future writer for Her Campus.