Why Everyone Should Give “MUNA” a Listen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Harry Styles performed at Radio City Music Hall this past Thursday and he certainly did not disappoint.  Clad in a red and black custom Gucci suit, Styles skipped, sang and danced delightfully–all while promoting the spreading of kindness and equality.  He certainly puts on a great show.

But let me tell you about his opening act MUNA.

MUNA is a dark pop girl band made up of Katie Gavin (lead vocals/production), Josette Maskin (lead guitar), and Naomi McPherson (rhythm guitar/synths/production).  Based in Los Angeles, the band explores various musical styles and produces beautifully poetic and raw lyrics.  The band writes songs that touch upon heartbreak, gender identity, rejection and spreading peace.  All three members of the band identify as queer, and they don’t use gender signifying pronouns in their songs in an effort to promote inclusivity.  As they opened the show on Thursday, I couldn’t help but be completely enthralled by their performance.

Starting with the lively and inspiring track, “Loudspeaker,” MUNA single-handedly grabbed the attention of every audience member, managing to stray eyes away from Snapchat and onto the stage.  They continued on with a hypnotizing “Everything” about lost love and a dark pop piece called “Crying on the Bathroom Floor” which is certainly a crowd favorite. 

MUNA finished off their set with an uplifting and inspiring “I Know a Place,” and my love for the band immediately skyrocketed.  This song is seen as an LGBTQ anthem, urging everyone to lay down their weapons and spread love.  

The song states:

“They will try to make you unhappy; don’t let them

They will try to tell you you’re not free; don’t listen

I know a place where you don’t need protection

Even if it’s only in my imagination”

MUNA’s entire message revolves around being “inclusive, peaceful and creative,” and it is clearly shown through their work.  Their album “About U” is out now and I urge you to give it a listen.

Elizabeth is a senior at Marist College studying Public Relations and Advertising.  Currently serving as the Editor in Chief and CC of the Marist Chapter, she enjoys writing about entertainment, music, lifestyle, and news.