When You’re Not in a Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Welcome to Rush Week!

It’s a week full of girls gushing about how excited they are to hopefully be privileged enough to become a sister and share letters.

While it may feel like you’re an outsider if you don’t partake, it’s truly okay to not be a part of a sorority.

I did rush my freshman year, and while I didn’t get into a sorority, it truly was for the better. I have friends in several sororities and fraternities, and I know that it wouldn’t be a place where I would thrive.

Every college has a different Greek culture. In some schools, particularly in the south, Greek life has a heavy hand in the campus atmosphere. But up north and in smaller colleges, like Marist, being in a sorority or fraternity is essentially just another club on campus. Some colleges don’t even have housing for their Greek life. They can often feel like an elite group that only the worthy are accepted into, but sororities are not for everyone. Each sorority has their own personality and interests. Some gather together for philanthropy while others bond at parties.

Sororities and fraternities offer a social outlet and a fast way to meet new people and friends. It’s also another commitment. There are dues to pay, meetings to attend and a set of guidelines to live by. You have to go through the process of pledging, too. For some, however, the reward is greater than the risk and they opt into Greek life. I have many friends in the Greek life community and while some have nothing but great things to say about their sisters, some haven’t had the best experiences. As there are a lot of girls in one place, there can be constant drama and politics.

When you’re not in a sorority it can feel like you are missing out on a secret society. It can feel like you don’t fit in at your own school, but in reality, there are so many other outlets to find your place in college. There are clubs for all interests and passions. Greek life is not the only opportunity to get involved on campus.

For me, I’m glad that I ended up not joining a sorority. I may not get to out letters in my Instagram bio, but I am okay with that.

Hi! I'm Jamie Martelli and I'm from Boston, MA! I am a communications- Public Relations and Advertising major at Marist College! I love to read, discover new music and keep up with pop culture. I've been a content creator for other online sites and I'm excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!