books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

What Your Go-To Floor of the Library Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Dun dun dun…finals week. Dooms day is upon us, folks! But before you tear your hair out and gauge your eyeballs out (don’t lie, we’ve all thought about doing it), remember that everybody’s best friend James Cannavino is here to save the day. He’s the perfect guy, you know? BAE is always there with a hot cup of coffee, and some help on your homework. What else could you ask for, right?

And when it comes to the library, we can all get a bit possessive: Uhh why is that guy sitting at my table? That’s my table! Doesn’t he know that’s my table? What – how does he not know that’s my table!? Where am I supposed to sit now? Those other tables just aren’t good enough. I might as well leave now if I can’t even sit at my own table. I walked all the way over here and now I have to walk all the way home. I can’t even focus at home. Wow, now I’m going to get an F on this paper. Why can’t that guy just find his own table? I need that table! I need MY table!

Okay maybe it’s not that dramatic, but trust me, people can get pretty crazy in there. It’s something about those high ceilings: they trap the crazy in. College kids foaming at the mouth, falling asleep at their laptops, Starbucks in hand. Yep, we’re all crazies here. You might not have a table, but you DEFINITELY have a floor. We all have a floor. Ever wonder what your go-to floor of the library says about you?

The First Floor

You appreciate the little things in life – like a little peace and quiet! This sounds like a library given to you, but you’ve learned the hard way that not everybody shares your value of silence. So hunkering down in the basement with all the books that nobody seems to ever check out is the best option for you. You know that being away from friends is the only way you can focus so you say your farewell to your buddies at the library door. You like to lose yourself in your work: headphones on, phone off, and forget any and all sense of time. You’re a planner, the type of person that starts homework well before it’s due, but somehow still stress yourself out about it. Has it been 15 minutes or 15 hours? Most of the time, you have no idea. All you know is that you’re being productive.

The Second Floor

You might not have won ‘social butterfly’ in your high school yearbook, but you definitely at least came in the top 5. The library is just another excuse to see all your friends, whether you admit it to yourself or not. A little chaos doesn’t scare you away. Nope, you thrive in the disorder. It takes a lot to distract you; you’re like a machine chugging along through your work, a tank. Printers spitting out papers at 95 miles per hour, tour groups asking questions like their tour guide is the knower of all, groups of girls gossiping under the Christmas tree: none of it bothers you. You’re also a fan of convenience and efficiency. I’m not going to call you lazy but going up a whole flight of stairs or going down a whole flight of stairs? Not your thing. You’d rather stay closer to the food, exit, and computers…you know, all the important things.

The Third Floor

You know that life’s all about the views. Miley Cyrus’ “The  Climb” is your absolute jam, and you have it on repeat as you sweat your way up those stairs to the third floor, knowing full well that the front row seat for tonight’s Hudson River sunset is going to be totally worth it. You’re a bit of a procrastinator and actively snapchat your friends about how much work you need to do more than you actually do the work you need to do. You like to snack while you study because you know that you’ll probably fall asleep if you don’t entertain yourself somehow. Ultimately, you end up closing the library at 2am; once you get started, you get on a roll and nothing short of the night shift security guard begging you to leave can stop you.

No matter what your go-to floor is, and no matter what it says about you, just remember that you’re going to kill finals this week. Essays, presentations, tests: you can do it, seriously. James Cannavino will make sure of it. Happy studying!

I'm a an English major, journalism and creative writing minor, puppy enthusiast, smoothie lover, from San Antonio, Texas. I am a junior at Marist College and an avid user of the panda face emoji.