What is this Snap? Millions Missing the ‘Old Snapchat’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

By Natalie Ford 

On February 9, 2018 Snapchat released a new update in the hopes of generating excitement for users and a big step for the company.

The new Snapchat update was a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT to users and celebrities. According to Forbes, Snapchat’s app ratings have gone down in 6 out of 7 categories and lost its spot as one of the top ten apps in multiple countries.

On top of that, over 1.2 million users have signed a petition on change.org asking the company to restore the app to its pre-2018 condition.

Personally, this update wasn’t the worst thing that happened to me. I do agree, however, that it has made the app extremely confusing and overwhelming.

I have the biggest issue with the new stories page. The stories page is extremely confusing. Instead of seeing a long column of your friends’ stories, there are these enormous squares with random stories from magazines like Refinery29 or even people and celebrities you don’t follow.

Also, the Snapchat home screen is has too much going on. The bitmojis and the stories distract from the snaps you are receiving from your friends.

Posting Snapchat stories and sending snaps is now complicated as well! This new screen may show you friends you’ve recently snapped but doesn’t show you where your Snapchat groups are.

Although Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel says that users will learn to love the update, I don’t know how I can. I, along with 1.2 million Snapchat users, want the good ol’ Snapchat back.