jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Does Your Favorite Holiday Beverage Say About You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

You know it’s holiday season when Americans give as much attention to Starbucks cups as we do to the election of a new POTUS. We take this time of year very seriously, as we have been waiting oh so patiently for the return of Christmas music, winter break and Starbucks’ holiday drink menu. It has been 11 long months since we’ve seen those signature red cups, so excuse us for not welcoming green cups as merrily as the company expected.

All worries aside, the red cups will make their regular return and we can focus on more important things: What the beverage on the inside of that cup says about you.

1. Peppermint Mocha

You’re a holiday traditionalist. Whether it is the Chestnut Praline or Gingerbread Latte, these drinks define you as a genuine holiday lover. You start listening to Christmas music before the first snowflake falls. Your tree is standing and decorated before the turkey is cleared off the table. You become a real life Buddy the Elf as you joyously shop for presents, blast Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas” and flaunt the ugly sweater that’s been hiding in the back of the closet all year. Christmas is arguably your favorite holiday, and you don’t understand why this menu isn’t offered all year round. 

2. Hot Chocolate 

You’re a child at heart, so nostalgia overwhelms you during the holidays. Every holiday season reminds you of the uncontrollable excitement felt when waking up Christmas morning. Your holiday movie preferences include Alvin and the Chipmunks and The Polar Express, and you have no shame in living on cookies until the end of December. You long for the days when Santa was real, every house in the neighborhood was decorated with lights and you didn’t get socks as a present.

3. Pumpkin Spice Latte 

You’re faithful, decisive and a little bit stubborn. The truth is, you’ve been ordering the same drink since September and you’re not ready for change. You’re more of a leaves falling, cool breeze, sweater and booties kind of person. The thought of snow covered streets and freezing temperatures horrifies you, so you will do everything you can to hold onto the last few days of fall. You are a dependable person, because your decisions don’t change even when the rest of the world has moved on to the next season.

4. Eggnog 

You’re the life of the party, the fun-loving friend that everyone can’t wait to see. You use the holiday season as an excuse to let loose and get a little tipsy at family parties. You’re carefree and humorous, but this can get you in trouble. Too much eggnog and you’ll be saying too much, accidently offending a relative or passing out before the dinner is served.

5. Black Coffee

You are on a mission. While it may not be an exciting choice, you are just way too busy shopping for presents, donating to the Red Cross and planning family get-togethers to deviate from your everyday habits and try one of the limited edition beverages. If you are not doing any of the above, then ordering a black coffee during the holiday season means that you’re a Grinch and probably hate this holiday. You think of yourself as a serious adult who doesn’t have time to lust in the childlike experiences that embody Christmas.

Courtney is a Pop Culture Blogger for Her Campus National and contributor to the Her Campus Marist College chapter. She graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Communications, is an avid feminist and eventual professional journalist.