The Vampire Diaries: The Show That Used To Be Great

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

As I sat watching the most recent episode of the final season of The Vampire Diaries, I couldn’t help but reflect on the past eight years of the Mystic Falls residents. What was once my favorite show has become obsolete. It has fallen from grace. Of course, I cannot complain about the comic shows that deal with a different kind of superhuman that have taken up the mantle of the CW, but there will always be a special place in my heart for TVD. Who thought that a below average young adult book series would go on to become such a success on a major cable network? (Of course, that may be because the TV series only faintly resembled the books.) But were not here to talk about the early years of TVD, were here to get real about its current state.

We were rooting for you Julie Plec (TVD writer). When you produced a pretty amazing spinoff filled with hot British people to create your own Shondaland on the CW, we thought you had something good going. But you got cocky, it happens.

I want to know who the schmuck was who thought continuing the show without the main character was a good idea. Also, what kind of actress leaves a wildly popular show, that is…wait…centered around her? She’s Elena Gilbert! She’s kind of the whole point!

We can all agree that the show started to go a little off the rails with the whole Silas/Vampire Cure/”Other Side” thing, but since Dobrev has left, the writers seem to have run out of material. Which is understandable because the anchor of the plot is no longer around.

Honestly, the show could have ended when Elena became a vampire. As an ardent Stelena shipper, I would have loved if she could end up with Stefan for eternity. I know that wasn’t the point of the story, but did the story really have a point after that?

Don’t get me wrong, I love Nina and all of the stars of TVD. Her performance as several characters can only be rivaled by Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black. The Katherine/Stefan/Klaus/Doppelgänger story line was enchantingly captivating. And it should have ended there. We did not need to lose Alaric to vampire madness or Jeremy to Silas. Enough is enough.

We’ve enjoyed every moment with the Mystic Falls townies, but let’s be honest, they could only survive one season without Elena, because of course she will be back for the season finale (March 10th on the CW). (Personally, I think Bonnie is going to become a vampire and when she “dies” Elena will wake up. You heard it here first, folks.) 

We will miss you TVD, but really only Season 1-5 you.