A Trailer Just Dropped for The “Sharkboy & Lavagirl” Sequel!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Sharkboy and Lavagirl Sequel: Trailer Reaction

There have been rumors going around for quite some time now that there would be a Sharkboy and Lavagirl sequel and on November 19, Netflix dropped its trailer for the movie. Along with the 44 second trailer, we also got several promotional photos, all of which gave a pretty good idea of what the film will be about. After carefully inspecting both the trailer and photos, this is everything I have learned about the film, which is set to premiere January 1, 2021.

First, let me say that this movie is not exactly a sequel to the beloved childhood film, Sharkboy and Lavagirl, although it does feature these characters. The “sequel’s” story is that aliens invade Earth and abduct all of the planet’s superheroes, including the famous water & fire duo. When all of the superheroes get kidnapped, their children must figure out how to escape their government safe- house and save their parents. If the plot sounds a little cliché, that’s probably because it is. This movie, titled We Can Be Heroes, is rated PG and based on the trailer, it is aimed at a pretty young audience (my best guess would be between ages 6-10). However, since most of us will spend New Years Day staying inside (away from the cold and the ongoing pandemic), I see no reason not to watch the film. Even if the movie is just playing in the background while you clean up your New Years’ confetti, the movie brings back a piece of childhood that some of us surely need.

One of the movie’s only point of controversy has been the cast. The film features several stars, including actress (and wife to musical sensation Nick Jonas) Priyanka Chopra Jonas, and the original Lavagirl, Taylor Dooley, stepping back into her famous role. Unfortunately, Taylor Lautner will not be playing Sharkboy, which is a disappointment for many original fans. While most of us are sad that Lautner won’t be donning his shark-skin again anytime soon, it isn’t too much of a loss because the plot focuses more on the superheroes’ children than on the heroes themselves. 

One last positive point for the movie is that the trailer provides a quick glimpse at Sharkboy and Lavagirl’s daughter, who is absolutely adorable. I’ll admit, I am a little confused as to how they had a daughter, because at the end of the original film, they could barely hold hands without hurting each other. But plot-hole or not, this film, while directed at younger audiences, seems like as good of a way to waste my time on New Years as any, and I will definitely be watching it.

Victoria Cremin is a Marist sophmore majoring in Accounting, as well as the Editor-in-Chief for Marist HerCampus. She loves fashion, reading, theater, cinema, and has a passion for all things Disney. Victoria dreams of working in the Hudson Valley at a business that allows her to connect with members of her community.