This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

By Katie Nie 

Watching Marvel movies was and still is my favorite pastime when I am spending time with my dad. Growing up, he would take me to the theaters every time a new Marvel movie came out and thankfully I was old enough to understand the plot lines by the time the Marvel Cinematic Universe was created. Though this was hard for me to make as I am sure my answers will be controversial, these are my top five Marvel movies!

5. Avengers: Infinity War

In fifth place, I placed Avengers: Infinity War. This movie was a rollercoaster in terms of emotions as Marvel was prepping the end of Phase Three to their Marvel Cinematic Universe. It was the first time that we got to see all of the previous movies truly come together giving the audience a feast as all our favorite characters began to interact with one another. It was done extremely well considering how large the cast had become. They had also done a great job of making sure all the characters had enough screen time despite the cast being so large. It was hilarious but also devastating: everything that a fan could ask for in a monumental cross-over event.

4. Thor: Ragnorok

In comparison to every previous Thor movie, the large consensus is that his was the best Thor movie that has been produced. This is because it was directed by Taika Waititi who decided to give it more of a comedic flare than its predecessors. While it was initially slightly off-putting because it was such a stark contrast to the normal Thor movies, it was easy to warm up to because it was much more engaging than the previous movies. The movie perfectly progressed the story line while also adding the new comedic twists that didn’t exist prior. One of the common critiques for the Thor series was how serious the movies were and Waititi did a fantastic job at changing the pace of the series.

3. Spider-Man: Homecoming

Unpopular Opinion: I am a big fan of the Spiderman movies that star Toby McGuire and I do not like the Spiderman movies that star Andrew Garfield. While many people despise my opinion and while many others agree with my opinion, everyone can agree that Tom Holland’s portrayal of Spiderman is the most accurate. Spiderman’s character is finally done justice as Tom Holland plays a high schooler who is navigating his new powers as well as the social troubles that exist in public high school. I am slightly biased when it comes to this movie however, because the logo that the creators made for Peter Parker’s high school, Midtown High, is a combination between the Brooklyn Tech logo and the Bronx school of science logo. My mom attended Brooklyn Tech and my dad attended Bronx School of Science so the logo used in the movie the perfect culmination of my parent’s high school logos.

2. Avengers: Endgame

Not much has to be explained about this one because it should be in everyone’s top 5 Marvel movies. This movie is a masterpiece and one of the most ambitious movies in the history of movies. It was a spectacle and had been years in the making. I won’t spoil anything but the movie had you on the edge of the seat the entire time. Nothing was more jarring than the first five minutes of the movie because the writers did a great job at pulling off the unexpected. The movie brought me and many others to tears and my only concern in regards to this movie is how the MCU will outdo themselves after this movie.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Not many people agree with me when I tell them that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is my favorite movie. This is because it holds a special place in my heart. My senior yearbook quote came from this movie, it was the like “There are two types of beings in this universe, those who dance and those who do not.” I adore the way this movie incorporates its soundtrack into the plot and creates a deeper level to the movie that you could only see coming if you pay attention to the soundtrack. The use of the 70’s songs perfectly compliments the theme of space and galaxy. The movie utilizes the upbeat 70’s music to contrast the intense action scenes that occur throughout the movie and though it may seem like it wouldn’t mesh well, that is what makes it even better.