The Top 5 Instagram Mistakes You May Be Making

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Instagram may be a social media outlet that allows us to brand and promote our best selves, but sometimes we have to be careful that we don’t fall victim to some common instagram faux pas.

1) The “Fake Model”

We don’t need to see your camera roll of selfies. Although you may be trying to imitate your fav model’s glam shots, even models have lives and aren’t constantly putting up pictures of themselves doing everyday things.

Did you get ready just to take this picture?

2) The excessive #hashtag user.

#seriously #please #just #stop.

If you see something, say something.

3) The botched body editor.

If you truly believe you can pull a fast one on your followers by altering your body with a visible indent in the wall behind you, bless your heart.

A for effort, ladies.

4) The ill-fitting captioner.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but of course, not literally. Try and keep all captions relevant, coherent and under 200 characters.  This also goes for rambling quotes as your captions because that’s no good either.

We thought you were better than that, Justin.

5) The Excessive Foodie

Pizza is great, but most of the time we don’t need a reminder that dining hall food is the reality. Also, if your food is halfway eaten or poorly presented, no matter how delicious, just leave it on your plate and eat it.

Is it Rossi’s? Cosimos?

Hopefully shining a light on these Instagram pet peeves brings clarity to your timeline. May the likes be ever in your favor. 

Anna Marotta is a Junior at Marist College where she is studying Marketing. She is extremely right-brained and loves to write, create, and travel. You can find Anna with her ten best friends at Lola's Cafe or stalking dogs on Marist Beach. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram! @annarosemarotta