Top 5 Books To Add To Your Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Authored by Marist Contributer Victoria Cremin

It’s nearly November, which means that the lovely autumn winds are about to turn bitter cold, with snow soon to follow. Naturally, that means it the perfect time to curl up with a good book to avoid going outside. As an avid reader, here are my recommendations to add to your Fall/Winter reading list.  

1) The Thousandth Floor by Katherine McGee 

This novel is the first in a trilogy that takes place in NYC 100 years in the future. In this tale, nearly everyone in the city lives in the world’s tallest building (you guessed it, 1,000 floors tall), with the poor at the bottom and the rich at the top.  This includes one very special girl who lives on the thousandth floor. This story is the perfect mix of sci-fi mystery meets “Gossip Girl,” and anyone who has read The Clique in middle school is sure to love it! 

2) Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson 

If a thrilling and thought-provoking mystery with twists at every turn is your idea of a good read, then this novel is a perfect fit! As the protagonist travels to a famous and elite boarding school for the first time, she plots to unravel the mystery behind the school’s founding family, even if it means risking her own life. The novel weaves the past and present together in a wonderful narrative, and this mystery is the perfect way to prepare for Halloween. 

3) Blood: A Memoir by Joe Jonas, Kevin Jonas, and Nick Jonas (with Neil Struass) 

Yes, you read that correctly. Following their musical comeback and their Amazon Prime documentary, Chasing Happiness, the Jonas Brothers dive even deeper into their pasts and their personal lives in this upcoming memoir. The book will be released in March 2020, and is an obvious must read for Jonas Brothers Fans. 

4) Let It Snow by John Green, Lauren Myracle, and Maureen Johnson 

This book, written by some of YA’s most well-known authors, is collection of three short, holiday-themed romances (all of which tie-together at the end of the novel). This book is perfect for those looking for a light read, as it is told in three separate stories, and is sure to put readers in the holiday spirit! The best part? Consider this book preparation, because Netflix just dropped the trailer for Let It Snow, a movie based off the book! Whether you are a holiday fanatic or complete scrooge, this book is a must-read. 

5) The Similars by Rebecca Hanover 

The Similars is a thrilling mystery/thriller that kicks off when six new teens enroll at the prestigious Darkwood Academy boarding school, labeling themselves as “the similars.” Why the unusual nickname? Each new student is a clone of a teen already attending the institution, made without their counterpart’s knowledge. Some people welcome the new students, while others fears them, but Emmaline Chance? She can’t even look at them without staring at her dead best friend’s mirror image. Where do these students come from and who created them? More importantly, what does any of this have to do with Emmaline and Darkwood?