This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

1. ELIO 

This artist, who takes her name after the iconic Timothée Chalamet character in Call Me By Your Name, is the perfect anecdote for when you want to have those adolescent feels. Her airy, bedroom pop, reminds you of those pre-quarantine carefree days. Those days when deciding what you were going to wear to prom felt like your biggest problem. With lyrics such as “I don’t have the energy, I gave it all away to my problems” and “fear of missing out makes me miss how it wasn’t”, ELIO offers a reflection on the common anxiety we all face, whether it’s the confusing feelings we have for someone or the struggles of managing stress. ELIO’s music has that trancey melody that makes you feel like you’re floating above time and space. 

Notable Songs: 

Waste of Emotion 

Jackie Onassis 

2. Mothica 

She may already be on your radar due to her infamous Tik Tok song Vices. The Brooklyn-based musician recently celebrated the release of her full length album Blue Hour, an album that offers a reflection on the musician’s recent sobriety and her struggles with managing addiction. Mothica’s music can best be described as dark pop with heavy reverb and bass tones. Although she has been in the music scene for a couple of years, it wasn’t until her recent hit Vices that the unsigned artist started to gain widespread commercial acclaim. Even if you don’t struggle with addiction, her lyrics are relatable to anyone managing intense emotions. 

Notable songs: 

Vices (obviously) 

Water Me Down 

3. HONNE 

This English electric duo, who have collaborated with the likes of RM from BTS, recently released their third album No Song Without You. The group made up of James Hatcher and Andy Clutterbuck, write, record, and produce their own music. Their first album Love Me/Love Me Not consists of dreamy, mellow melodies. No Song Without You builds off of those mellow tunes but this time gives off more ballad vibes. With lyrics such as “city lights will blind you, and I’m sure you’ll meet somebody”, Honne is a duo that is masterful with emotion, making you feel as if you’ve just been through a brutal breakup even if you’ve never experienced one. 

Notable Songs: 

Day 1 

One Way to Tokyo

Sources

Greenwood, Douglas. “Elio Is Charli XCX’s New Peachy Keen Pop Protégé.” I-D, Vice Media Group , 23 Mar. 2020, i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/akw8v8/elio-charli-xcx-protege-timothee-chalamet. 

Mylrea, Hannah. “Meet ELIO, the Quarantine Creator Whose Glossy Sound Imagines Ariana Grande Crossed with The 1975.” NME, BandLab Technologies, 17 July 2020, www.nme.com/music-interviews/elio-interview-ariana-grande-the-1975-radar…

Song, Sandra. “Meet the Gloom Pop Goddess Letting Her Inner Demons Out Through Music.” Teen Vogue, Condé Nast, 26 May 2017, www.teenvogue.com/story/mothica-fresh-finds. 

Wikipedia contributors. “Honne (band).” Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 14 Aug. 2020. Web. 20 Oct. 2020.

Blair is an English major with a passion for music, reading (of course), video games, and movies.