Three Restaurants to Satisfy Your Cravings in the Hudson Valley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Although it’s not encouraged, it’s always nice to leave campus once in a while to get something to eat and take a break from what the dining hall has to offer. There might not be too many immediate places to grab a bite off-campus, but there are a few good places only a short drive away. 

The Dutchess Biercafe

To start it off I am going to share a restaurant located in Fishkill, New York, which is only a 25-30 minute drive from campus. The Dutchess Biercafe is a great little spot right on main street with excellent food. Everything from comfort food, to salads, seafood, fried Oreos, and vegetarian options, their menu has a wide diverse selection of some very delicious combinations. Having a house in the Dutchess area and spending much time here during the quarantine, this quickly became me and my family’s favorite take out spot. As a vegetarian, I highly recommend their vegetarian burger because it is so far the best vegetarian burger I have ever had. It is topped with a fried egg, chipotle mayo, and greens all on a brioche bun. I also recommended their mac and cheese. Big noodles topped with a ton of cheese, it’s the perfect comfort food meal and comes with chicken if you would like. The portion is usually big which makes it even better because you then have delicious leftovers for the next day. If you’re an appetizer person I recommend the pretzel stick, and poutine, and for dessert, I would tell you to go with the apple cinnamon bread pudding. With outdoor seating, it is very accommodating with the current pandemic and is definitely somewhere you should go next time your family visits or next time you are craving a delicious filling meal. While I could go on for many pages, I do want to include another place that has some really great food. 

Country Fare

This next place is located in Wappingers Falls, New York which is a shorter drive, around 15 to 20 minutes. Country Fare, which is located right on main street also has some great more American-style comfort food. They have a small little backyard with available seating which is very covid friendly, but they do also have indoor seating if you prefer. For starters, I highly recommend the buffalo cauliflower. Unlike most places, their buffalo cauliflower is not breaded which leaves you feeling less full when your food comes to the table, but it is still very delicious, and I like to think of it as a healthier option. If you are a fish person, I recommend their fish and chips. This is a perfect comfort food meal and comes with delicious sweet but tangy homemade tartar sauce. Their fried mac and cheese is also two meals in one. You get a nice portion of delicious mac and cheese and delicious, big pieces of fried chicken on top. If you are more of a sandwich person I highly recommend their Reuben sandwich, which is also vegan friendly. Not only is it delicious on its own but you can also substitute the meat for a vegan option which is also very good. Most of their portions are quite big, which is also a huge advantage for a college student because you get to take home delicious leftovers. You will definitely leave Country Fare well-fed and satisfied.

Yankee Clipper Diner

If you are looking for a wider selection of food, I recommend Yankee Clipper Diner, located in Beacon, New York which is a 30 minute drive from campus. Although there is a diner near campus, Yankee Clipper has to be one of the best Diners for anything you are craving. Not only is there menu selection huge, but I guarantee anything you order is going to taste amazing. It’s also located right on the main street, and after you are done getting a delicious meal you can walk around the town of Beacon which has a lot of cute stores and sights. And if you are in the mood for something sweet after your meal, I recommend Glazed Over which is the donut shop in Beacon. Specifically the maple glazed donut with bacon bits on top of the lemon glazed donut with chocolate chips. The next time you are in the mood for some good food you should definitely give these places a try because you won’t be disappointed.