Student Teaching Bootcamp: The Five Things You’ll Learn Within Your First Few Weeks as a Student Teacher

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

While many students are tucked into bed dreaming of the new science building and a Wholly Habenero’s burrito bowl, Marist College’s finest student teachers are warming up cars and packing sandwiches for the day. As the first few weeks are being completed, student teachers around campus are busy learning student names and correcting assessments. It has only been a short time but these busy Marist students have already learned a ton about their future careers.

1. The first test to pass is your morning routine

Gone are the days when your first class was 2:00 p.m. and you rolled out of bed at 1:30. Nowadays, you’re up before the sun. Early mornings are the most difficult parts of your week, but you are slowly getting into the routine. Whether you wake up before 5:00 a.m. to make it to your high school two towns over or you’re making your way to the kitchen after 8:00 a.m. to prepare yourself for the elementary school day, you feel the strain of the morning. Fitting in a nutritious breakfast, putting together a professional, yet comfortable, yet stylish, yet appropriate outfit, and ensuring all your edTPA files are in your bag is one of the most challenging of tests.

2. Your students will ask personal questions. Often.

What kind of car do you drive? Do you live on campus? How old are you? What’s your first name? Do you have pets? When do you wake up in the morning? Do you use Neutrogena makeup? Who are you voting for in the presidential elections? Where is Connecticut? What’s Long Island? Do you eat meat? Why does your shirt have pockets? Have you ever been arrested? Are you dating anyone? Do you shop at Forever 21? Can you hit the dab?

3. You need to brush up on your elementary skills.

For the past three and a half years you have been learning quantum mechanics, seventeenth century literature, political history of the Middle East, computational linear algebra, and taken abroad classes in an entirely different language than your own. Now you must teach young minds to compose an argumentative essay, add and subtract negative values, comprehend Hitler’s rise to power, and name fruits in spanish. Easy? Not entirely. Brushing up on simple skills is necessary before you come up to the board and deliver the wrong answer. Students. Remember. Your. Mistakes.

4. Students and technology do not always mix well.

Remember Type to Learn? Today’s students don’t! Oftentimes typing two sentences means slowly plucking at the keyboard letter by letter. If students are not struggling with typing, they are using the Wifi to print out pictures of their favorite cartoon character or a Photobooth picture of themselves. Technology is often not safe in the hands of your students. Beware.

5. Your bed is your friend … and your enemy.

First thing you do when you get home? Jump into bed. Last thing you want to do in the morning? Leave your bed. Bed: the biggest frenemy of student teaching.

Good luck, student teachers! You’re doing just fine!

Cassie Carroll is a Senior at Marist College with a dual major in English Literature and Adolescent Education and a minor in Theatre. She is a member of Marist College Club of Theatre Arts and Dance Ensemble, loves naps, Nutella, and lots of coffee.