Steven LaMaita: The Red Fox Who Does It All!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Whether you’ve seen him performing onstage, jamming out on the docks or playing with the speed up filter on Snapchat, Steven LaMaita is hard to forget. Steve’s positive energy, giving nature, dashing good looks and immense talent makes him overqualified to be this week’s Campus Cutie. If you have yet to meet Steve, here is what you are missing out on.

Steve found himself at Marist College after being pulled in by, what he describes as, “the spirit and happy feeling that resonated throughout campus.” His own exuberant nature certainly found itself in the right place! Marist not only offers a positive environment, but also allows Steve to pursue his many passions: math, education, music, theatre and recreational basketball.

Steve declared a major in secondary education and mathematics after being inspired by two particularly influential high school teachers who proved that educators can make a significant difference in the lives of their students. When asked to imagine his ideal classroom, Steve explained “I would have my students sit in pods so they can collaborate but also be spaced out enough to individually learn. It would be based off of student feedback and going at their pace to really enhance their learning.” His dedication to education is nothing short of awe-inspiring and this career path appears extremely promising for Steve.

Along with his commitment to education, Steve thrives as a theatre minor and scholarship recipient. According to Steve, his love for theatre has kept him “driven, motivated, and ambitious” and has made him “comfortable and confident” wherever he goes. He is no amateur, either, as this past summer he took on a leading role of “Adam/Noah” in the world premiere production of Children of Eden Jr, an adaptation of Stephen Schwartz’s esteemed musical. You can read a Playbill article on this production here!

At Marist, Steve has had many memorable theatrical moments including last semester’s production of Godspell which gave Steve “a sense of love and community,” and his incredible role as a production manager of this semester’s Anne Frank. Steve reveals that acting as a production manager “was an eye opening experience to see the production from behind the scenes from casting the show to opening night.” His competence and dedication made Steve the perfect fit for the job. Steve is also a member of Marist’s Singers and Chamber Choir. Chamber Choir has become Steve’s favorite part of the school day and he is quick to emphasize his gratefulness for the opportunities that the group has given him.

In his limited free time, Steve enjoys spending time with his friends who, he explains, truly are his family. Steve divulges, “I’m a person who lives off of smiles and laughs and there isn’t a negative situation in the world where my friends couldn’t make me crack a smile. They’re the best!” Close friend, Alex Polzun, a past Campus Celebrity, describes Steve as a friend who is “caring, fun, dedicated, compassionate, and hysterical.” No truer words have been spoken.

Steve’s favorite places on campus include Fusco Hall, the Hancock lounge next to the fireplace, the first dock by the river and the bench under the fallen Gartland tree. His favorite pastime is playing with the speed up feature on Snapchat — whose isn’t?

When asked if he had a special someone, Steve smiles and replies “I mean, my dumb dog, Casey.” So, ladies, you’re in luck! Steve’s ideal date is described as going “into the city and to go to her and my own favorite spots and just spend time with each other and laugh. Maybe walk the high line or go through Central Park in the fall. Anywhere in the city!”

So if you don’t know Steve yet, now is your time! Meet the guy behind the curtain and seize your opportunity to get to know this incredible campus cutie.

Cassie Carroll is a Senior at Marist College with a dual major in English Literature and Adolescent Education and a minor in Theatre. She is a member of Marist College Club of Theatre Arts and Dance Ensemble, loves naps, Nutella, and lots of coffee.