Snacks & The City: DŌ, Cookie Dough Confections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Only a few blocks away from the hustle-and-bustle of Washington Square Park is a decidedly quieter side-street, LaGuardia Place. If you keep looking, however, you’ll notice that this isn’t just any side street–there’s a line of people waiting that spans nearly 100 feet of the sidewalk. What are they waiting for?

Their chance to taste edible raw cookie dough.

Yes, you heard me right: there is a store in New York City that makes raw cookie dough that’s safe to eat.  

If you’re anything like most people, eating cookie dough raw is probably on your list of guilty pleasures (along with religiously following the Bachelor and watching hours of reality television). DŌ, Cookie Dough Confections, however, offers a solution; cookie dough that contains pasteurized egg product, therefore eliminating the chance of getting salmonella completely.

Initially, I had my doubts. After all, that line was long, and I could think of other ways I’d rather spend my afternoon in Manhattan. The way it worked was that you go to the back of the line (that is on the opposite side of the road as the storefront) and they hand you a menu to read while you wait. Once you finally get to the front of the line (for us, it took about 35 minutes and the line was relatively long), they give you a paper ticket, and you’re allowed to enter the store.

The store, while small, was not crowded or claustrophobic, so as much of a pain as it was to wait in line, it was surely worth it. I didn’t feel rushed once. Furthermore, it was very orderly, and both my friends and myself were extremely impressed by how helpful and patient the staff was as you decided what to order.

There were innumerable different varieties of raw cookie dough to try, but I stuck with the classic chocolate chip. I was shocked how reasonably priced the food was (I paid $4 and change for a small cup, I believe) considering the place has recently become rather “Instagram famous.” Personally, I would definitely recommend saving your money and getting the smallest size, since the small really is a decent amount of cookie dough.

The cookie dough itself was delicious and well worth the wait. It didn’t taste phony, it actually tasted just like the type that your mother always chided you for eating raw as a child. A definite 10/10 for taste, that’s for sure.

If you’re looking for a snack in the city, have some time on your hands and don’t mind waiting a little while, DŌ is the place for you. Enjoy!

Madison is a senior journalism student at Marist College with an affinity for all things writing, iced coffee, and Great Gatsby related. She is currently a Lifestyles & Her Future writer for Her Campus.